Sunday, February 28, 2016
Outside my window... in the mountains for the weekend. Piles of snow and lots of sunshine. Probably a little warm for the end of February. Fingers crossed that there will be continued and late snow this year.
I am hearing... Jack and his friend bickering over what color plate they get for breakfast (really?!?) and the fireplace humming.I am feeling... in need of some down time after flying solo with my kids and their 2 friends all weekend. It may wear me down a bit, but I sorta love having a bunches of kids around.
I am thinking... that I need a road trip soon. I've really missed not doing a multi week trip this year.
I am thankful for... boot dryers.
From the kitchen... we've eaten out or had leftovers all weekend. Haven't thought much about the upcoming week yet. Definitely going to make greek crockpot chicken. Maybe a stir fry. I'm feeling the need for some veggies.
I am wearing... flannel PJ pants and a long undie top. About to change into winter hiking gear to take the dogs out.
I am creating... I have only a few more inches of hand sewing the binding on TWO quilts. Those should both be done this week. And I've already started piecing my next quilt. Hoping to have that done in the next couple weeks (it is a fairly simple patchwork but hoping to make it sizable)
I am going...
I am reading... I've finished a bunch of books since the last time I blogged. My favorite was probably Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed. Funny I wasn't wild (pun intended!) about her book Wild but I love her podcast Dear Sugar and this book was a lot like listening to that. Current reads/listens are still pretty new. Listening to Glass Sword with Jack. Reading Eleanor (The Unseen #1) - so far it's just eh. Started a few others but not sure yet what will stick.
I am hoping... to plant a cool season garden this year. That means we need to plant some starts this week!
Around the house... I met with a kitchen designer and our contractor last week. Eeek! Since it is supposed to be nice this week, I'm going to try to find motivation to do some outside projects.
In the homeschool room... progressing. Not really doing anything special right now. Just reading, doing math, writing, etc.
How I'm exercising... feel like I've got my routine down, but I'm not running like I want. Can't seem to find the motivation to get out there - even on gorgeous days. Blah.
One of my favorite things... my new "Cup of Sunshine" mug
A few plans for the next week: a full week - Pilates, tennis, personal trainer. Summer USTA meeting. Doctor appt for Jack. Lunch with friends.
Wednesday, February 03, 2016
I look over this list and wonder, "Dude, have you done anything the last month??"
- Keep list of all purchases in 2016 - in progress, so far so good
- Maintain Mvelopes - ongoing
- Update insurance on jewelry - appraisals done, need to send paperwork to insurance company
- Update will & estate documents - read AARP Estate Planning and Beyond the Grave (this is a surprisingly good read), need to get paperwork from Matt
- Set up savings plan for big home updates - set up a savings "envelope" (in Mvelopes), put some money in it, need to figure out how much more to save & make a plan
- Set up savings plan for big travel the next few years - set up a savings "envelope" (in Mvelopes), put some money it, need to figure out how much more to save & make a plan
- Finish family room projects - ugh, no
- Dining room projects - need to call handyman to hang plate racks; have material and spray adhesive, need to measure and get wood cut for lining buffet drawers
- Update Jack's room - purchased desk and curtains, need to hem curtains (may be my most dreaded task in life!), need shelf and rug
- Coat closet clean up - not started, actually forgot this was on the list!
- Make design plan for basement renovation - met with contractor on Monday
- Meet with architect for to develop long term plan for back of house - nope
Follow Home Storage Solutions 52 Weeks plan- this was a stupid idea for me. Not doing it.
- Declutter and simplify Christmas decorations as they are put away - um, mostly. There may still be a small pile of things to be sorted & put away in the basement...
- Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge - set challenge at 60 books, finished 9 so far
- Don't click gossip news/fishing links - not perfect, but trying
- Pledge with Matt & kids to not text as the driver, to make all calls hands-free, and to limit in town calls to less than two minutes - I haven't been texting (except maybe a few using Siri), and I've been good about hands free calling, however I have NOT been good about limiting calls to 2 min...
- Set morning and evening routines for myself - nope
- Work through Gretchen Rubin's 21 Days & 21 Strategies program - nope
- Look at meeting with a therapist or coach for some personal development help - I have a name, just need to make the call
- Blog at least once a week - technically, yes, but not quite what I was thinking for myself
- Use my Get to Work Book to organize projects in a Getting Things Done style - started strong, but my use has waned the last couple weeks. Will get back to it.
- Update/set morning & evening routines and daily checklists for kids - nope
- Plan 1:1 dates with each child - hmmm... I've done things 1:1 with kids, but not planned. Partial credit.
- Read one parenting book - nope
- Complete 30 day green smoothie challenge starting Jan 1 - we got off to a good start, but didn't maintain it. We have, however, been making a bunch of smoothies this last month, which was kinda the point.
- Complete another round of Go Sugar Free - in the middle of it. I've done well, I've done awful. I'm really trying to figure out what my long term sugar plan should be
- Work back up to a 10K using 10K Runner program - nope
- Maintain Pilates workout 1x/week - yup! ongoing
- Bake more homemade bread - no, but I've thought about it.
- Research, choose, and potentially schedule executive health exams for Matt and me - done a little research
- Restart vitamin regime - nope
- Read Power of 10 - nope
- Make Favorite Winter Meals list - nope
- Plan spring break trip - a lot of talking, not a lot of planning
- Plan late spring trip - ditto
- Plan weekend trips in 2016 - ditto
- Complete 3 quilts by spring - quilt #1 I'm working on the binding, quilt #2 is being quilted, quilt #3 material being cut - definitely on track!
- Visit a new state in 2016 - no plans yet...
- Plan monthly game night - nope
- Make a 2016 resolution hiking list - nope
- Do hike in camping with kids in 2016 - too cold! This is a summer activitiy but I wanted it on the list so I don't forget that I want to do it!
- Go cross country skiing - nope, I've barely been downhill skiing this year!
Tuesday, February 02, 2016
Outside my window... So. Much. Snow! We've gotten well over a foot in the last 36 hours or so. And it wasn't very cold, so it was fun to be outside playing and shoveling. Plus this is snow day #2 off school. Super fun.
I am hearing... kids in the other room eating breakfast. Kate and her school friends had arranged to have a sleepover last night if school was cancelled again. I happened to be on the phone with my dad when school was cancelled and sleepover plans were finalized... only to find out that the sleepover was at my house! (I a only pretending to be annoyed - I actually love having a house full of kids!)I am feeling... cozy. Don't really want to move from my spot today.
I am thinking... a lot about the next phase of my life. What do I want it to look like?
I am thankful for... friends who put up with my flakiness.
From the kitchen... last night I made this cookie dough dip recipe for the kids to snack on while we played Apples to Apples. So yummy - and I'll try decreasing the sugar next time I make it. I have 2 whole chickens roasting in the crockpot, so we'll have taquitos and quinoa enchilada bake this week. I'm also planning on roasting some sweet potatoes and carmelizing onions to use this week on salads or whatnot.
I am wearing... old running tights (which I may have worn all day yesterday as long underwear and then slept in last night), a wool turtleneck, and my pink fisherman sweater. And my old slippers.
I am creating... I've been busy in the sewing room. I need to baste a quilt top that I finished last week. Would like to have this quilt completely finished in the next couple weeks. I've also cut out fabric for 2 other quilt tops. One I'd like to have done mid-March.
I am going... to be taxing kids around this afternoon despite all the snow. Fortunately there isn't far to go.
I am reading... I've finished Never Fall Down which was a wonderful book albeit a difficult subject. I was previewing it for the kids. Not sure I'm ready for them to read it. I also finished Beyond the Grave a surprisingly good read about wills/trusts/leaving money to others. My next book is Seven Thousand Ways to Listen which I'm excited about yet have been saving for a time I can really savor it. I also need to find another fiction book to start.
I am hoping... that the laundry magically washed itself and put itself away. If not, I'm planning on watching the mini series Death Comes to Pemberly while I fold. And, yes, I have enough laundry to get through a full mini series. Ugh.
Around the house... yesterday I met with our contractor about planning a kitchen remodel! So excited. Also talked to him about fixing up our basement a bit. We need a better "hang out" area for the kids as they turn into teenagers.
In the homeschool room... we'll ease back into homeschool starting today. Need to make a January plan.
How I'm exercising... I've started back with a personal trainer 2x/week. He's nearly killing me (I've come close to vomiting almost every session!) but I can already feel an improvement.
One of my favorite things... tea.
A few plans for the next week: Broncos in the Superbowl!!