Monday, May 30, 2016

DayBook 1.30.16

Happy Memorial Day! Hope you are having a fun filled weekend. For years and years, we always spent this next week camping in Utah. We haven't done it for a couple years (since Uncle Mark retired), and while I miss it, I am enjoying the time for different experiences. Last year we were in Punta Cana and this year we were at the Meadowgrass Music Festival (I could see us making the music fest our new annual event - super fun). At Meadowgrass I ran into likely my most loyal blog reader (hi, Danny!) which inspired me to get back to blogging. Inspiration doesn't necessarily mean execution for me, so we'll see how this goes. I am much better at Instagram, so you can always check out a bit of what's going on over there.

Outside my window... I'm sitting in our homeschool room with a view out across the snow covered peak. Not a cloud in the sky. Last week I moved my hummingbird feeder to this window but no action so far.I am hearing... birds twittering. And if I listen closely, I can hear our 7 week old chicks peeping in the chicken run.I am feeling...optimistic about summer.

I am thinking...  about how full the next two weeks are for our family.


I am thankful for... for friends that you can invite over for dinner last minute.

From the kitchen... last night we had a great dinner. Steaks and zucchini on the grillwe've made the switch a wood pellet smoker/grill - went with a MAK and can't say enough good things about it, carmelized onions, crab legs, couscous caprese salad (I've been making this for over 15 years and everyone always loves it), this kale salad (minus the currants - this was a new recipe for me and everyone loved it). I think this morning I'll try a blueberry lemon oven pancake.

I am wearing... grey hiking pants (that I love and maybe, just maybe, have been wearing all weekend), and an old, grey striped tunic tee shirt that I slept in. And my fuzzy slippers. It's an all around good look.


I am creating... my first low volume quilt. Really excited to see how it is going to turn out. Hoping to have the quilt top finished by this time next week.


I am going... to get a pedicure today.


I am reading... The Gazebo. Eh. It's a quick read that I'm enjoying, but I don't think it is going to be Bridges of Madison County (which makes me cry just thinking about). I've got a bunch of half read nonfiction books, but the last few weeks haven't afforded me much opportunity to sit and read. I'm listening to Thrive as I go through the day. You can always check in on what else I'm reading on Goodreads. 


I am hoping... that the movie Me Before You is as good as it looks. I loved the book, and I can NOT WAIT to see the movie.


Around the house... I am sprucing up our outdoor spaces. We have a new hammock and stand (we lost our hammock tree a couple years ago) and a new outdoor seating area. I got new pillows for our front porch seating and have my eye on a lounger to put in a sunny corner of the front porch. I am also in major house declutter mode.


In the garden... my raised bed is mostly planted. Still have to put in the basil, but nights have been a little cool. Maybe this weekend. It really helped to read my garden thoughts from last year. I have a spot under my office window where a sage plant has been thriving. I planted a few other varieties more for show than use. I also planted two rhubarb plants. Wishing I had done this years ago.


In the homeschool room... slowing down with formal work. Going to keep progressing in math through the summer. I still need to test Jack - probably in July. Outings will just increase with summer, and I have a few projects planned. Currently we are reading Heart of a Samurai together. Really loving it.

How I'm exercising... 6am Pilates on Mondays (although not today), 6 am Bootcamp Tuesdays and Thursdays (took the last 2 weeks off with school ending - will start back tomorrow), tennis a few times a week. Really, really, really want to start running more. Have plans to go tomorrow morning.

One of my favorite things... my new zip tablecloth for the round umbrella table

A few plans for the next week: So full! We have friends staying with us the next 2 nights; Matt is off most of the week; summer swim practice starts today - feels like we'll be swimming all day, everyday; dock diving practice for Jack & Tripper; sign up for library summer reading program; USTA tennis match for me; girls' night out for me; Matt & Jack are going to Austin for a few days; Kate is going to Salida with a group of girlfriends; plus I'd like to do an outing or two from our summer outing list

2 comments:

Danny Hankins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danny Hankins said...

Great seeing you again-thanks for keeping up your blog!