Monday, January 04, 2016

DayBook 1.4.16

Outside my window... Sunny, clear, cold. Just a few patches of snow tucked into corners. Should warm up a bit later. An absolutely beautiful winter day.

I am hearing... the painters scraping the deck. Hoping this house painting project will be over this week.

I am feeling... very sad and heartsick. I received news this morning from a dear friend that she unexpectedly lost someone close to her over the weekend. I have shed tears and sent my love over this crazy electronic medium we call the Internet (strange how it can sometimes make you feel close and sometimes remind you of distance), but I really just wish I could be there. 

I am thinking... related to the above news, about my grief response and what it means for me. Several years ago, I heard a minister speak of how our emotional responses at funerals - I happened to be crying uncontrollably at my neighbor's funeral so the message caught my attention - are often grief for our own losses, both past and future. That knowledge has really given me insight to my emotions in similar situations.

I am thankful for... this big, goofy, adolescent dog we brought into our life. Even if he is driving me batty right now. He needs a long walk.

From the kitchen... planning all kinds of goodness this week. Tonight we'll have some leftovers from the weekend. Later in the week I'd like to make split pea soup and some salads. We are also doing another 30 day green smoothie challenge. The kids always enjoy it. And I am repeating my Go Sugar Free program. Really looking forward to it. Stocked up on the foods that I know will help my cravings.

I am wearing... my Teeki eagle feather tights (love 'em!) layered on top with a tank, a remarkawool turtleneck, and a wool poncho sweater (mine is a few years old)

I am creating... I plan to finish up the quilting on my chevron quilt today. Maybe even get the binding started. Then I'll start cutting pieces for my next quilt made with strips from Denyse Schmidt's New Bedford line.

I am going... to tackle laundry today. It has *maybe* gotten a bit out of control over the holidays.

I am reading... the children's book Crenshaw, just finished Ten Zen Seconds, am midway through Wired for Love but had to return it to the library (so I'm back on the waiting list!), and just starting Seven Thousand Ways to Listen. Next fiction read is Never Fall Down

I am hoping... for an early bedtime tonight.

Around the house... still have Christmas decorations up! Those are coming down today. Then I want to get my bookshelf doors painted. Time to finish up that project!

In the homeschool room... we'll ease back into homeschool starting today. Need to make a January plan.

How I'm exercising... I got up early and did a private Pilates lesson this morning. Going to yoga Wednesday. Tennis doesn't start back up until next week. And this week I'm starting week 5 of the 10K Runner program. Plus I'll get a long walk in with Tripper.

One of my favorite things... fresh flowers. I bought some for myself at the grocery store this morning. Pretty oranges, reds and greens.

A few plans for the next week: we are moving back towards our normal routine this week, swim starts back today, Kate goes back to school Wednesday, I have a massage scheduled and another private Pilates session, both kids have orthodontist appointments (our first!), and we'll have a mountain place full of friends this weekend.

No comments: