Thursday, December 31, 2015

2016 Goals - Winter

So here I sit on in front of our fireplace in the mountains on the last morning of 2015. I'm drinking warm tea from my favorite Hawaii mug (and thinking that Hawaii sounds lovely after the last few days of skiing in single digit temps!) and hoping that my family stays asleep for a bit longer (I love 'em but I also love the quiet - and quiet they are not!). The new year is my favorite time to review and plan, but I've found that for me it is better to set some shorter, get-it-done type goals vs. year long resolutions. Plus I still keep an ever evolving 5-10 year life plan. So here is my first set of plans for 2016... some specific, some general, some short term, some longer term.

Financial

  • Keep list of all purchases in 2016 (more on this later)
  • Maintain Mvelopes (this is what I have used for years to track our income/spending, I switched to free Mint.com in mid-2015 but wasn't happy, so I'm excited to be back to Mvelopes!)
  • Update insurance on jewelry (understand the importance after losing a diamond earring in Lake Michigan - ugh! Thankfully it was insured & Matt gave me a replacement for Christmas)
  • Update will & estate documents (we've needed to do this for years!)
  • Set up savings plan for big home updates (would like to do them debt free)
  • Set up savings plan for big travel the next few years

Home

  • Finish family room projects (paint bookcase doors & hang art)
  • Dining room projects (hang plate racks, line sideboard drawers in silvercloth)
  • Update Jack's room (rug, hooks, magnetic board, desk, shelf, drapes)
  • Coat closet clean up (2nd hanging bar, add hooks, declutter, paint?)
  • Make design plan for basement renovation
  • Meet with architect for to develop long term plan for back of house (kitchen, deck, mudroom, kids' bathroom, new master)
  • Follow Home Storage Solutions 52 Weeks plan (as best I can - like it as a guideline and to help keep the house decluttered)
  • Declutter and simplify Christmas decorations as they are put away

Personal Development

  • Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge (will set goal at 60 books)
  • Don't click gossip news/fishing links (more on this later)
  • Pledge with Matt & kids to not text as the driver (even at stoplights), to make all calls hands-free, and to limit in town calls to less than two minutes (we are doing this both for our own safety & to set an example for the kids are they inch closer to being drivers themselves)
  • Set morning and evening routines for myself
  • Work through Gretchen Rubin's 21 Days & 21 Strategies program
  • Look at meeting with a therapist or coach for some personal development help
  • Blog at least once a week
  • Use my Get to Work Book to organize projects in a Getting Things Done style

Family - Keeping a few other goals private 

  • Update/set morning & evening routines and daily checklists for kids
  • Plan 1:1 dates with each child
  • Read one parenting book

Health & Well Being

  • Complete 30 day green smoothie challenge starting Jan 1
  • Complete another round of Go Sugar Free (goal this session is to define my personal sugar selective guidelines)
  • Work back up to a 10K using 10K Runner program
  • Maintain Pilates workout 1x/week
  • Bake more homemade bread (using both bread machine for dough and the no knead method)
  • Research, choose and potentially schedule executive health exams for Matt and me
  • Restart vitamin regime
  • Read Power of 10
  • Make Favorite Winter Meals list

Fun & Recreation

  • Plan spring break trip
  • Plan late spring trip
  • Plan weekend trips in 2016 (I'm feeling some wanderlust but school and other activities are keeping us close to home)
  • Complete 3 quilts by spring (zigzag, New Bedford, flannel backed patchwork)
  • Visit a new state  in 2016 (I feel like I'm stalled with the remaining 4... Oregon, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Delaware)
  • Plan monthly game night
  • Make a 2016 resolution hiking list
  • Do hike in camping with kids in 2016
  • Go cross country skiing (I really want this to be my *thing* but getting there has been tough)

1 comment:

PopMom said...

For Rhode Island, consider Newport and/or Block Island. You won't be sorry!! You could always combine with something else in MA or NH/VT/ME since you would be coming all the way to the NorthEast. Email me if you need some ideas/suggestions Best, Sena :)