This was the first garden I've planted in several years (free ranging chickens plus maybe a little laziness kept me away). But with Tripper interested in chasing chickens and me pretty sick of poop everywhere, the girls have been mostly confined to their run. When Jack asked to plant, I had no excuse not to. I had forgotten how much I love a garden, so we'll definitely do one again next year.
|Newly Planted Garden Last Spring -|
Never Fails to Amaze Me How Much It Grows!
- 2015 garden had oregano, thyme, chives, 1 jalapeño, 2 yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 1 pumpkin, 2 genovese basil, 1 thai basil, 1 sweet basil, 1 parsley, sunflowers, marigolds, and nasturtium
- liked having a variety of basil, consider adding an additional basil plant or two
- marigolds sprinkled throughout the plot look really pretty. Remember that you saved some marigold seeds! Do some starts with the kids
- plant just one zucchini and one yellow squash plant (it WILL be plenty!!); make sure they have enough room; avoid the crooked neck yellow squash variety
- move the chives to the back of the plot
- the chickens will eat the nasturtium if they are up against the run
- try the parsley - maybe 2 plants - in the landscaping under the office window; mint also
- having pots around the raised bed looks nice and makes watering easy
- lay down the automated soaker hose; it is fun to go out and water each morning in June but you will get tired of watering by the end of the season
- plant early enough for lettuce
- missed having green beans and rainbow chard and kale (mostly as a chicken treat)
- the pumpkin didn't do well this year... not sure why.
- have we ever eaten the jalapeños you plant?!?