Sunday, August 23, 2015

Summer Review

We have had a fabulous summer, but I haven't had much time for blogging. Hoping that being back on a more routine schedule as autumn approaches will help. Here is the bullet highlights of our summer. Hoping to get more details and pictures on the blog at some point.

June
  • Trip to Club Med in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic with my friend/tennis partner Jordana and her family. A new experience for us as we had never been to an all exclusive resort (this was actually the last weekend in May but seemed like the kickoff to summer for us)
  • Jack did 2 weeks of STEM camp through a local university and loved every minute of it.
  • Kids had a swim meet in Thornton, CO the weekend after we came home
  • Kate did her standardized testing for the year. Usually we do this through our homeschool program, but we missed this year while traveling in Hawaii. She took the Stanford Achievement Test online. Very good experience, and she did great.
  • Participated in our neighborhood garage sale. After doing this several years ago, I was never going to do it again. But the kids wanted to have a sale, and before I knew it, I was out there dealing with all the people. Make over $1000 selling our junk.
  • My friend Nona and her daughter (Kate's BFF) arrived for the summer (& now beyond!) from Hawaii. Love having them intermingled in our daily life (although a little disappointed that our Hawaii connection is gone)
  • Matt took the kids to Austin over Father's Day for a long weekend of friends, lake play and really good food. Kate relished having a sleepover with Tia (my sister). And I relished having a few days all to myself.
  • At the end of the month, I drove the kids and Nina and Tripper to Minnesota (the calamities of that trip may be too gruesome for my blog!). We dropped Kate off at St. Olaf for swim camp. She loved setting up her dorm room for the few nights. Jack and I then went to see my friend Krista and her family (Jack loves her boys!) outside of St. Paul. The next day Jack and I drove to Hayward, Wisconsin where my parents rented a house on Lac Courte Orielles.
Kate in her Ole cap

July
  • After swim camp was over, Matt flew in to meet us, and we spent the next week in Wisconsin with my parents, my sister, and my brother and his family. All kinds of fun, before Matt and I drove back to Colorado with our crew.
  • We had 2 weeks of *normal* summer fun (Kate did Humane Society Camp during one of those weeks plus the kids had a weekend swim meet)
  • Then we packed up the car, drove back across the great Midwest to meet Matt's sister and her family in Michigan for a week on that great lake.
August
  • My cousin Kira and her family were in Colorado, so we spent some time (not enough!) with them
  • The kids and I headed to the mountains where my friend Linda and her teen son met us. Later in the visit her husband arrived plus our good friends from Texas stayed in our complex plus our friends' friends in another unit - I loved having a whole pack of kiddos running around!
  • That week before school started is a complete a blur! Although we did end the week with a swim team trip to WaterWorld
  • Last week Kate started middle school (!!!) while Jack and I started back to homeschool
  • More fun things to happen in August before summer draws to a close

No comments: