Saturday, January 03, 2015

Winter Reading Plan

We are home from skiing because the kids have a swim meet this weekend. Was a little disappointed to cut our New Year getaway short, but there will be plenty of skiing yet this season. Plus it is nice to be home and getting a few things done before "life" starts back on Monday. We are supposed to get snow tonight, so I'm thinking about some time on the couch with a tea and a book.

I read a lot. I recorded 76 books finished on Goodreads (and I'm pretty sure I missed a few!). Plus the numerous unfinished ones. Part of why I can get so many read is that I include all books - audiobooks, novels, nonfiction, read along kids' books, homeschool books, etc. in my list. We read a lot for homeschool, but you can also finish a lot of audiobooks while folding laundry and chopping veggies!

I'm again setting my yearly Goodreads goal at 60 books, but this year I'd like to be a bit more intentional about what I read. Usually I finish one bit of fiction and just pick up something else or start the most recent recommendation. And I am horribly distractible with nonfiction. I get midway through a book, find something else interesting, and rarely seem to actually finish a nonfiction book.

So I've put some thought into what I'd like to read the next few months. Here's my reading plan for winter...

(Edited: so at 60 books per year, I should be reading about 15 books a season. I just listed at least 30 for winter alone!! But I'm leaving the list as is to see where I make the most progress...)

Audiobooks - chosen by the fact that they are unread on my Audible account
  1. Off to Be the Wizard (I've already started... it's... different...)
  2. Peace From Broken Pieces
  3. Provenance by Laney Salisbury and Aly Sujo
  4. Accidentally on Purpose 
  5. Rapt by Winifred Gallagher
  6. The Aviator's Wife
  7. The Introvert Advantage
Nonfiction - some of these are to fulfill my winter goals, the others I'd tried to ensure a variety of topics
  1. Coaching With the Brain in Mind (this is a long one!)
  2. Deconstructing Penguins (I started this long ago, so I need to skim the first half then finish)
  3. 10 Minute Toughness (not specifically about tennis, but counting it as my fitness book)
  4. How to Hug a Porcupine (parenting book)
  5. Daughters of Eve (spiritual book)
  6. Silver Spoon Kids (financial book)
  7. Return to Life Through Contrology (fitness book about Pilates)
  8. 1000+ Little Things Happy Successful People Do Differently
Fiction/Novels - I'm having a tough time being intentional with fiction but here goes!
  1. The Book Thief (I started this over a year ago and never finished!)
  2. Orphan Train (my mom gave me her copy and I keep meaning to read it but don't)
  3. Boys in the Boat (not fiction, but still more of a "story" so it goes on this list)
Kids - books the kids are reading that I want to read also
  1. Out of My Mind
  2. The Phantom Tollbooth (can you believe I've never read this?!?)
  3. Feeding Malachi
  4. Heidi
  5. The Menagerie
  6. Time for Andrew
  7. The City of Ember
  8. Esperanza Rising
  9. Spirit Animals books 1-?
  10. Ruby Holler

No comments: