Saturday, October 25, 2014

Homeschool Moment - Trapezoids

Kate: Why do I need to know how to find the area of a trapezoid?

Me (while looking up how to find the area of a trapezoid because I can't freakin' remember!): um...

Kate: I mean, I'm not going to be an architect or anything.

Me (thinking, "Ah, yes! An architect! That's a good reason to know how to calculate the area of a trapezoid!"): Or it is important if you learn to quilt.

Kate (disdain in her voice that she would ever do something Mom enjoys): I'm never going to be a quilter.

Mom: You might want to build something someday.

*Blank, empty stare from my daughter as if I'm an imbecile*

Me: Well, sometimes it is just important to learn new things and to learn to think in new ways.

Kate: Today I've learned to think that I don't need to know the area of a trapezoid

No comments: