After a couple years of doing this, I have come to realize that Sept-Oct-Nov are the best months for schooling. We are fresh and motivated. I've also realized that it is nice to ease back in to the school routine in the last couple weeks of August before all the activities start up in September. So this week we are going to start reviewing and getting back into the swing of things. I haven't picked all our programs yet, but here's the overall plan to at least get us going...
Math - mostly more of the same. I have a bunch of other resources/games that we use, but I'm not going to bother listing them all out right now.
- MathUSee programs. Kate - Delta/Epsilon, Jack Gamma/Delta
- KhanAcademy - we've never used this, I think I'll use it as a reinforcement of what we've already done
- Life of Fred
- Scribblers online writing class (Kate)
- Tutoring (Jack)
- First Language Lessons Level 4
- Spelling U See - Jack&Jill/Americana
- Using Picture Books to Teach Writing With Traits (I know this is K-2 and easy, but it is just supplemental. Plus I love picture books, as do the kids!)
- Writing With Ease Level 3 (we are mostly doing this because we didn't finish last year. Also just supplemental)
- Reading - lots of thoughts, want to come up with my own book report form, want to make a master list for choosing "assigned" reading, both kids have Kindles now so that make reading easy and mobile!
History/Social Studies/Geography/Biography/Religion/Literature/Art - Usually these are all so intertwined, that I'm sticking them all together. I'm so distractible with these subjects depending on what we are reading, where we are traveling, something we've watched, etc. We'll mostly just see where the path takes us. But here are some ideas for this year...
- Story of the World Books (freakin' finish vol I already! Just so much fun to dig deeper!)
- Old Testament using the The Illustrated Jewish Bible for Children (I love this book! Want to finish it in conjunction with above)
- State Study (we've sorta been studying states as we visit using a variety of resources - maybe sometime I'll list what we've been using)
- Finish Narnia series - just have The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle left
- Listen to the Little House series
- Mark Twain
- EHM's Storybook Artists lessons
- World Religions
- Usborne Introduction to Art
- Wright Brothers
- Carl Sandburg
Science - same as above - very distractible! They have a great science teacher in their homeschool program, so I never feel stressed to get science done. Mostly just for fun. Some ideas for the year...
- Amazing Science DVD
- EHM's Planet Earth worksheets
- Magic School Bus science packets
- Human Body
Other - a lot of this is still being decided and will be determined as we go
- Speech therapy (Jack)
- Swim team
- Knitting DVD
- Keyboarding Without Tears
- Cursive Without Tears (Jack)
- Latin (Kate)
- Volleyball (Kate)
- Lego Class (Jack)
- Fencing? Dance? Trampoline? Horseback riding? Tennis?
- Travel - thinking Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Mammoth Cave, Great Smoky Mountains, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Las Vegas, Zion... and that's just before Christmas!
- Secret Millionaires Club videos
- GCF Technology Videos
- Youth Digital App Design Course?
- Homeschool enrichment program