Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Crockpot Roasted Chicken Recipes

I can't remember when I discovered the miracle of roasting chicken in the crockpot, but it was relatively recently. Maybe in the last year? Definitely not more than 2 years ago.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it has changed my life. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating. But it does make me happy, and I love having chicken meat ready in the fridge. And homemade stock - yum!

There are oh-so-many recipes online for roasting a chicken in the crockpot. Just Google it if you need good instructions. I usually roast 2 chickens at a time for lots of extra meat. I get the organic whole chickens from Costco. (Although I do feel slightly guilty about that... how can Costco have access to so many organic chickens?!? Makes me wonder about the humanness of the operations. But that's where I get them because it's easy. Maybe I'll look into a better option this summer. Maybe Matt will let us move to a farm where we can raise our own chickens to eat. Probably not.) Anyway, I stuff both chickens with onions, stuff them into the crockpot, sprinkle with salt and pepper (or maybe some herbs if I'm feeling wild & crazy!), turn on the crockpot and let those chicks cook. After 6+ hours, that meat practically falls off the bone! (Should be noted that roasting a chicken in the crockpot does not provide a beautiful, crisp-skin, roasted chicken like the oven does. This is about meat, not presentation)

We usually have the chicken with whatever sides for dinner that night. Then, I pick off all the extra meat to use over the next week. I put the carcasses back in the crockpot with some carrots and celery (if I have them on hand), turn the crockpot back on, and let that all stew overnight (sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to the smell of simmering stock - yum!). The next day, I drain the stock using a colander, let it cool in the fridge, skim the fat, and either use (it's usually so thick that I use 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of stock to water) or freeze.

So that's how I get the chicken meat, but sometimes I feel at a loss what to do with all that meat. So this is a list of chicken ideas for lunch or dinner. Mostly for myself to reference when I can't think straight (i.e. most of the time). I'm planning on adding to it as I discover new ideas.

  1. BBQ chicken sandwiches (no recipe - I just use my favorite BBQ sauce from The Saltlick)
  2. Rosemary chicken salad
  3. Creamy chicken taquitos (from our friend Lauren - these freeze really well!)
  4. Side with Big Island Orzo Salad
  5. Chili Blanco
  6. Chicken Barley Soup (Kate loves this!)
  7. Spinach Chicken Noodle Soup
  8. Tortilla Soup
  9. Mixed in with Runner's Fettuccine
  10. Chick-Chick Stew
  11. Chicken N' Dumplings
  12. Paninis
  13. Side with Nona's White Bean Soup
  14. Chicken Pot Pie
  15. Chicken Tetrazzini
  16. Chicken Quesadillas
So that's what I can think of so far from my repetoire... I am always open to suggestions!



1 comment:

PopMom said...

Your chicken meat doesn't come out dry? I tried recently for 4 hours and it was dry :( Do you add any liquid or maybe putting 2 in allows steam and circulation of moisture or something?