Sunday, March 23, 2014

Jack's Birthday Minecraft Creeper Quilt

So, this is not the quilt that I had planned to give to Jack for his birthday. His original quilt is still a bunch of little 2.5in squares scattered all over my sewing room. At the rate it's going, I should have it done for his high school graduation. Think he'll still love race cars then? LOL
When I realized that there was NO WAY I'd get his quilt done in time for his birthday, I felt guilty but accepted the reality. Then the week before his birthday, I came across this quilt on my friend Krista's Pinterest account. I knew that I could make it quickly and that Jack would love it, but I just couldn't bring myself to make a full on Minecraft quilt. So I decided to make it a little more subtle with a bunch of prints from my stash (it's made up of almost all scraps from 2 other dominant green quilts that are still works-in-progress). I like that close up it seems like just a green patchwork quilt, but from a distance you can see the creeper design.
I only wish I had used larger squares for a larger finished quilt (these squares are 5in cut, 4.5in finished. If I was doing it again, I'd probably cut 6 or 6.5in squares). The quilting is a mix of straight line and free motion meander. I tried to use the tighter meander to bring out the creeper's eyes and mouth. Not sure how much it helped. The straight line is fairly sparse in that I just wanted to get it done. Also, because I was in such a rush to complete it, it isn't my finest craftsmanship. Just don't look too closely if you ever happen to have it on your lap!

No comments: