Monday, February 24, 2014

DayBook 2.24.14

FOR TODAY
(I added a few things to my DayBook that I feel like I'm missing)


Outside my window... a bit frosty this morning, but I think it's supposed to warm up nicely.

I am feeling... a little sad that Kate turns 10 today. Of course I'm happy for her (and she is THRILLED to be in the double digits!), but it's the first birthday that I've struggled with. TEN. That's more than halfway to being out of the house. She's closer to being a college student now than she is to being a newborn. Ack!

I am thinking... about spring. I can tell it's coming. Haven't had that first feels-like-spring day yet and there are definitely more cold days to come, but spring is on the horizon. I can feel it in my bones!
I am thankful for... my crockpot.
From the kitchen... I made a bunch of taquitos (recipe thanks to a friends visiting last week!) for the freezer the end of last week, roasted 2 chickens yesterday (had some for dinner last night, not sure what I'll do with the meat this week... maybe BBQ sandwiches or more taquitos or a chicken marinara pasta I saw online this morning), put the carcasses in the crockpot overnight for broth, now have a roast in the crockpot for French Dip Sandwiches for dinner tonight (Kate's birthday request - we'll also have sweet potato fries and ice cream cake!). I'm also itching to make some granola.
I am wearing... white tennis skirt, teal and blue athletic top, teal fleece, and red socks (time to do laundry!)
I am creating... a baby quilt! Just started over the weekend, and I should finish it up this week. I forgot how fun and fast baby quilts are to make.
I am going... to look into volunteering with hospice. It just sorta hit me out of nowhere a couple weekends ago. I was good at it in the hospital, I need something, I think it will be pretty flexible, and I'm hoping it will motivate me to activate my RN license. We'll see. I still need to call for info.
I am reading... finished a bunch in the last week or so - Sex at Dawn (found this fascinating, sorta makes me want to live in a commune, want to read a second time), Notes From a Blue Bike (Eh. Good, not great yet still inspiring), The Giver (not what I was expecting, still digesting it), Looking for Alaska (by same author as The Fault in Our Stars so had to read it), Younger Next Year for Women (didn't realize this was for the 50-60 year old crowd when I checked it out from the library, inspired me to move more, also gave a lot of good reading recs).  Yesterday I started A Winter's Tale. It's supposed to be good, but right now at just a few chapters in, it's feeling long and tedious. Feeling like I just want to see the movie! A friend recommended The Social Animal, and I really want to stop all other books and start it! Almost done with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with the kids.

I am hoping... I hear from a friend soon.

I am hearing... the furnace and Matt getting ready for work upstairs.

Around the house... I gotta clean my kitchen today!! Yowsers. And declutter. Again. How do we keep getting so much stuff?!?

In the homeschool room... Jack has tutoring, and Kate has French club today. Jack and I will hit the coffee shop for some work and chess or checkers while Kate is at French. We'll take it easy the rest of the day because it is Kate's birthday. I might take them to paint pottery this afternoon.

How I'm exercising... I ran 2x this weekend! A bit painful, but I did it. Singles match this morning followed by (hopefully!) some strength training.

Something that irks me... when people cross solid white lines on the highway. Am I the only one who listened in driver's ed?

One of my favorite things... Hawaiian lime butter on waffles.

A few plans for the rest of the week: other than the family birthday party tonight, just normal stuff: tennis, swim practice, a few runs, ski school, etc.

Here is a picture I am sharing: later... got to get to tennis!

No comments: