Monday, December 30, 2013

2013

I'm sure I've mentioned before that the week between Christmas and New Year's is my favorite week of the year. I love the reflection and the planning. And being up in the mountains for quiet time and snow fun is pretty nice also. Right now Matt and Jack are on the slopes. Kate isn't feeling well, so she is watching a movie, and I have some free time on the couch in front of the fireplace. No complaints.

I've been pondering 2013 the last few days, and while at first glance, it may not seem like an extraordinary year, I think that I may eventually look back and realize that the decisions and discoveries of this year were fairly important in shaping my life. Maybe catalysts or preparation for bigger changes. Only time will tell, but here is what sticks out for me from the last year.

  1. Travel. We did a lot. Kids hit 14 states (15 for me!), some multiple times. I got to check off Michigan from my list of states visited (only 4 left - Oregon, Rhode Island, Delaware & South Carolina). While I thoroughly enjoyed some of the big travel (um, Hawaii... why did I come home?!), our adventures reinforced my belief in how much fun and contentment one can find in  less glamorous destinations.
  2. Homeschool. 2013 may be the only full calendar year that I homeschool both kids. Whether that ends up being the case or not, I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience learning so fully with my children. Together we have figured out how to overcome individual challenges, how we each learn differently, how to make learning a part of everyday life, how to learn together and independently, and what unique talents we each bring to life. To be so intimately involved in their education certainly requires a lot of effort (time, love, patience, energy, etc), but I wouldn't change it for anything.
  3. Relationships. I've been very aware of the ebb and flow of relationship in my life this year.  Some have have gone by the wayside while others have become more intense. Some purposeful, some a matter of circumstance. Some of the change is great, others not so much. Trying to pay attention to the deeper meaning for me of the comings and goings of those around me.
Now on to 2014!

No comments: