Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dad to the Rescue


Getting to Dallas to spend Thanksgiving with my family was a bit of a challenge this year. We had originally planned to leave Friday morning (we couldn't leave earlier because Matt's birthday was Thursday), but Colorado Spring got hit with an icy snow storm Thursday night/Friday morning. Decided to delay our travel by a day, but we saw that another big storm with expected ice was going to be moving through New Mexico/Oklahoma/Northern Texas by Sunday morning. I realized that Saturday was our only window of travel opportunity, and that I would have to do the entire drive in one day or we would be out of luck until mid-week! 

Our normal route through Raton, NM and Amarillo, TX is usually a 2 day trip for us. We had already planned to take a different route this trip through Kansas and Oklahoma (because Kate wanted to check Kansas off her list of states visited - my kids have already been to over half the states in the US!). I decided to stick to this plan as New Mexico weather/roads was already bad.  I woke up at 5am, and we were on the road by 6:30am with the plan to drive 13 hours all the way through (the longest drive I've done by myself with the kids in one day is 8-9 hours). I knew I'd be crazy tired but that it had to be done.

About an hour into our drive, my dad rescued me from a potentially miserable drive! He called and said he could fly into Wichita, KS, meet us and finish the drive. It worked out so well. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. He had been waiting at the Wichita airport for only 5 minutes when we pulled up to pick him up. He drove the rest of the way allowing me to relax and nap.

Thanks to my dad, I'm now cozy in front of the fire at my parents' house waiting for the ice and snow to arrive.

No comments: