Monday, October 07, 2013

DayBook 10.7.13

FOR TODAY

Outside my window... is a beautiful, cool, autumn, Michigan day. I'm sitting on the enclosed front porch of our rental with the windows open for fresh air (add enclosed front porch to my dream house wish list - I'd make it my sewing room!) We are staying in a little lakeside neighborhood. The houses are tight, but yet it feels a bit spacious. Maybe all the green surrounding?

I am thinking... about how funny it is to feel nostalgic about a place I've never been to before. Like I've been missing it when I didn't even know what it was about. I've been to new places that feel familiar, but this is different. It doesn't feel like I've been here before, just a certain sadness that I haven't.


I am thankful for... our travels. Our stops may not be the most exotic of destinations nor our time a wished for extended sabbatical from daily life, but I still love exploring new places and learning about the areas as we go.


From the kitchen... ah! The traveler's kitchen. I've learned most of my travel cooking from imitating my friend Elizabeth. WWEC (What would Elizabeth cook?). The doormen at out hotel in Chicago teased me about my laundry basket (literally!) kitchen, although we didn't really cook in Chicago. The hotel provided breakfast and most dinners. And, of course, we had to have deep dish pizza at least one night! I'll cook most our meals here in Michigan. We had Greek veggie pasta salad last night (that was to counteract the sprinkle donuts from the Swedish bakery that served as lunch for the kids!). Today is supposed to be cool and rainy. Grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch.  Probably pasta with meat sauce for dinner. And baked apples for an afternoon snack!


I am wearing... yoga pants, tshirt I slept in, my Patagonia fleece sweatshirt, and socks. Going to be a lazy day.


I am creating... memories? I meant to bring a crochet project, but I decided no at the last minute. Smart. It would have just taken up space.


I am going... to take a walk on the beach today. By myself. Or maybe with the dog.

I am reading... finished The Dinner audiobook in the car. Really didn't like it. Currently listening to Thirteen Reasons Why. Check Goodreads for all the other books I flip between at bedtime.

I am hoping... that my slightly sore throat does not turn into a cold. Blah. And that Jack is fine today. He was running a fever at midnight. Still asleep.

I am hearing... 
the wind blowing through the tops of the trees.

Around the house... so we are renting a could-be super cute little house. Nothing fancy but just right for the three of us for a few days. I always imagine myself living where ever I'm visiting, and this is no exception. I've already mentally remodeled the kitchen and bathrooms, refurnished the whole place, and taken a paint brush to every surface!

One of my favorite things... autumn days. I'm not the biggest fan of winter, but I sure love those first cool days of fall (also the sunny, warm ones also)

A few plans for the rest of the week: be lazy, walk on the beach, go apple picking, homeschool, read

Here is a picture I am sharing: Selfie at The Bean (dislike the word "selfie" almost as much as I dislike the word "foodie" and yet here I am using it!)


No comments: