Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Other Day

Thought it was time to document another one of my days. This exercise always makes me realize that even on days where I don't seem to get much accomplished, there is much being done.
  • 6am - alarm goes off, having a good dream, no way I'm waking up, stayed up too late last night
  • 7:55am - finally wake up on my own (to my credit we just had spring forward time!)
  • Look at email on phone in bed (trying to break this habit!) and delete a few unimportant ones
  • Think that I need to go let the chickens out (Matt is working out of town)
  • Remember that I want a ceramic egg dish for the fridge, Google egg dishes, find a few that I like, but realize that the one I really want is no longer available. Typical.
  • Drag myself out of bed, put on slippers and sweater
  • Jack joins me asking about the "morning list" that we are getting back to starting today. Only I haven't actually typed a new one out. I rattle off what I can think of that he needs to do: get dressed, make bed, brush teeth, feed pets, eat breakfast, practice piano
  • Go downstairs, turn off house alarm, put on "chicken shoes"
  • Open up hen house, feed hungry girls, promise them some kale later today
  • Back in the house, put kettle on stove for tea
  • Look at calendar/to do list
  • Give Kate a good morning hug when she comes downstairs
  • Go over morning list again with kids
  • Pull out and start heating griddle
  • Mix pancake batter (I still like my old recipe, but we are pretty addicted to this flapjack mix - but I add a couple eggs)
  • Feed Bristle the fish (kids' job, but he didn't look well when I changed his water last night - was afraid he might not be alive this morning and I wanted to find him, not the kids. He's fine.)
  • Start making pancakes (usually the kids do this, but somehow I got the job this morning)
  • Blog between flipping pancakes
  • Ask both kids to change clothes (they both were wearing things they slept in and called it "dressed." Um, no.)
  • Remember that I was making tea, start steeping my current favorite morning tea
  • Let kids eat breakfast while watching cartoons
  • Realize that Nina may not have been outside yet, let Nina out
  • Continue making pancakes
  • Talk to Matt on phone
  • Let Nina in
  • Watch Fletch with kids because it shows the dog sledding operation we've used the last two weeks (how cool is that?!?)
  • Finish pancakes, put dishes in dishwasher, sip tea
  • Text Matt about Fletch/dog sledding
  • Ask kids to clean up breakfast dishes
  • 9:15 Turn on Math U See DVD for kids to watch
  • Drop sweater in hand-me-down box to be sent to my sister-in-law
  • Pull out math worksheets for today
  • Update homeschool lesson book with last week's activities
  • Give kids math worksheets to do
  • Quick kitchen clean up
  • Answer some questions with Jack about multiple digit subtraction
  • Look up what books are due at the library - 3 overdue - oops!
  • Look at weather forecast for this afternoon so I know what to wear running
  • Step outside to see what high 40's feels like. Still don't know what to wear.
  • Check kids' math worksheets, feel happy that Jack isn't writing numbers backwards as much, realize that I need to work on my multiplication tables!
  • Send kids off to find overdue library books
  • Wash face, brush teeth, etc.
  • Lament that I have no mid-weight running clothes, put on shorts and long sleeve top
  • Kids still can't find library books, look with them, certain that I must have already returned them and the library is wrong and that I'm going to have to pay for them.
  • Pull out supplies for our Nile River project
  • Find pile of library books including overdue books under project supplies
  • Send kids off for more project supplies (ie Legos!)
  • Print off Zappos return form
  • Help kids line "Nile" with aluminum foil
  • Send kids outside to gather "river rocks"
  • Seal up Zappos return
  • Scan email on phone, delete a few
  • Give more project guidance
  • Open blinds
  • Start making lunches for homeschool program
  • Realize that bag of banana muffins are in car (doesn't everyone store their muffins in the car?!?)
  • Go to car, see that iPad was left in car, realize that iPad face shattered when Matt opened the car door last and the iPad dropped. Crud. Grrr. Move on.
  • Cut strawberries
  • Feel sick about iPad. Try to move on.
  • Watch kids flood the Nile project
  • Start to panic about leaving on time for homeschool program
  • Tell kids to get piano books and shoes and a snack (warmed up pancakes from earlier!)
  • Finish packing lunches - smoked salmon, sliced strawberries, banana muffin, kefir in a gotten
  • Put on running shoes and hat, grab a muffin to eat in the car, turn off a bunch of downstairs lights
  • Load kids and dog and myself in the car
  • 11am Drop kids off at homeschool program
  • Drive to grocery store while listening to audiobook
  • Buy just a few groceries - veggies for juice, berries for snacks, ingredients for tortellini soup and veggie taco filling
  • Discuss my potential as a grocery store manager with checkout guy (that was funny!)
  • Load groceries in car and drive home while listening to audiobook
  • Arrive home, let chickens out in yard, unload groceries, load Zappos return box in car
  • Decided I need to eat something before run, nothing sounds good, settle for a bowl of cereal
  • Go outside to tell Nina to stop barking, get sidetracked watching chickens
  • Text Matt and blog while eating cereal and listening to audiobook
  • Finish cereal, put dishes in dishwasher, decide I'm cold and want some tea, put on kettle
  • Start collecting running gear, have to go upstairs for water belt, wonder if the jelly beans in found in belt are too old, decide they are fine, grab yoga mat while upstairs, turn off assorted upstairs lights that have been left on, go downstairs
  • Go to fill water belt bottles with Gatorade, find empty Gatorade container, feel annoyed, add it to the grocery list, fill them with plain water
  • Steep tea, find sunglasses, read text from Matt
  • Put away groceries while drinking tea and listening to audiobook
  • Lure chickens back into coop with strawberry tops and kale, collect an egg, think it is going to be a bit breezy on my run
  • Remember that I need to order more BettaBowl Plus for the fish. I didn't do it last night because I wanted to make sure he survived until morning. Ordered 2 bottles plus a floating log fish toy (sucker!) off Amazon.
  • 12:15 Realize I'm procrastinating on running. Gather stuff and walk out door. Pretty good run. A little windy at times. A tree branch almost took me out. Ran out of time and had to hurry home.
  • 2:15 Home after 9.5 mile run, grab keys and a glass of chocolate milk, load dog in car, go get kids at homeschool program
  • Pick up kids, wait on Jack as he's helping the teacher, stretch my calves a little
  • 2:45 Pull in driveway, send kids to let chickens out into yard and gather eggs, put kettle on for afternoon tea, pull out my favorite crackers to snack on (I'm hungry but can't quite stomach a real meal after my run), turn on furnace because I'm cold
  • Check some email while I snack and drink tea, kids on trampoline and getting their own snacks
  • Empty box of cereal into container so Jack can use box for a project at homeschool academy later in week
  • Wonder why my kitchen is always such a mess... put a few things away, pull out some veggies for dinner tonight, chop onion/celery/carrots and start tortellini soup. Realize it is too late to make homemade rolls. Switch plan to drop biscuits.
  • Collect mail and other deliveries off front porch, sort mail, open boxes
  • Put new pillow form in chicken throw pillow
  • Read Egyptian hieroglyph book with kids and do a homeschool writing lesson
  • Kids interested in book from writing lesson. Looked up Moominland audiobooks. Couldn't find it. Put hold on books at library.
  • Have Jack take out recycling
  • Send kids outside to put away chickens and play
  • Pay little girl across the street for chicken sitting the last few weekends.
  • Take a really long, indulgent shower
  • Get dressed (in my new, favorite Pixie pants)
  • Finish making soup while listening to audiobook
  • Take a few minutes to eat some crackers and drink more chocolate milk as I can feel my blood sugar plummeting, read some blogs
  • Tell Jack to get ready for swimming
  • Serve up soup, turn off stove
  • Call Kate in and tell her to eat and get ready for swimming
  • Go upstairs, put on some make-up, dry hair, put on scarf, grab shoes
  • Go downstairs, sternly tell kids to eat, gather swimming gear, argue with Kate that she can not wait until after swimming to eat, agree that a banana is sufficient, load up in car
  • Drive to swim practice, eat my soup in the car
  • Take a picture of Kate while walking in to swim, get kids' swim caps and goggles on
  • 6pm Swim practice starts, take a couple deep breaths and relax, look at some magazines, talk to some parents, blog the photo of Kate, feel proud of my little swimmers
  • Send kids into locker rooms to change, drive home, talk to Matt while driving, unload all the gear, feed everyone more soup/crackers/fruit
  • Turn on lacrosse instruction videos for Jack to watch
  • Have Kate take out trash and feed pets
  • Take phone call from friend about lacrosse, call another friend about signing her son up for lacrosse
  • Send Jack up for a bath
  • Help Kate mix up chocolate chip cookie pie filling, put both pies in the oven, set timer
  • Send Kate up to get ready for bed
  • Pick up a few things around the kitchen, stare into space for a few minutes thinking/daydreaming
  • Go upstairs, check on Jack in tub
  • Hear smoke detector beeping, stand there waiting for it to beep again and figure out which one it is, pull the battery from the one I think is beeping
  • Tell Jack to get out of the tub
  • Get in bed with Kate, look at Justice catalog together, pick our favorite outfits on each page, kiss her goodnight, tell her I love her, set out her clothes for tomorrow
  • Get in bed with Jack, read a book, scratch his back/stomach/legs/arms, kiss him goodnight, tell him I love him
  • Hear a smoke detector beep, decide to change all the batteries
  • Go downstairs, check pies in oven, carry cooler and duffel from this weekend to basement, get new batteries
  • Put in new batteries in 2 smoke detectors, wish everyone goodnight again
  • 9pm Turn off my bedtime alarm (spring forward is throwing us all off!)
  • Let kitten in, put on chicken shoes and close chickens up for the night
  • Check phone for messages
  • Let Nina out
  • Get a big glass of water, blog while waiting last 5 minutes for pies to bake
  • Let Nina in
  • Clean up the kitchen a bit (again!), put soap in dishwasher to run later
  • Pull pies out to cool, turn off oven
  • Do half hour yoga class on Yoga Studio app
  • Tried to download intermediate class but apparently I don't have enough storage on my phone
  • Get side tracked reading blogs on phone while sitting on yoga mat
  • Still feeling hungry, want to eat chocolate chip cookie pie, ate a hot dog and drank a huge glass of water instead (I don't always make the wisest choices after my bedtime!)
  • Can't believe the kitchen is still messy since I feel like I've been cleaning it all day, not going to worry about it tonight, start the dishwasher on 4 hour delay
  • Turn off lights, go upstairs, set house alarm, brush teeth, wash face and get ready for bed while listening to audiobook
  • Move Jack to his bed (he fell asleep in my bed), turn off lights
  • Climb in bed, set morning alarm, read a bit
  • 10:30PM Turn off my light and go to sleep

No comments: