Friday, March 01, 2013

Looking Forward to Today

Today is going to be a good day. I know it. March 1. Spring comes this month, and I am ready for some Spring. I know true Spring won't really be here for awhile, but I want a taste of it. The promise that it is coming. Someday soon.

I almost got side tracked writing about seasons and a spiritual book I read about the need for seasons, but that's not what I wanted to write about. I want to write about today. (The seasons thing would probably be more interesting than today, but this is my blog so I'm going to write what I feel like!)

The kids and I drove up to the mountains last night. We had originally planned to go the science museum in Denver before coming up here, but I was having a blah day. The kind of day that makes me just want to daydream. So I looked online for dream cottages in Colorado and Minnesota and Hawaii. I took a nap. I chatted with a few good friends. I cleaned out my closet. Finally it was so late in the day that we decided to wait until Matt was done working, have dinner with him and then head up.
This is out the back. That big icicle fell
while I was writing. 
The drive was dark. And windy. And then really snowy and slippery. But despite a little fish tailing coming down the pass, I always enjoy the drive. Two hours to do nothing but listen to music or a book, talk to a friend, or just think. A transition time from the business of life to our little escape.

So today. Today!
The kids are going to ski school. What great little skiers they are becoming. Jack has officially passed me up. Maybe not in form, but in fearless ability to get down anything. Kate is probably a better skier but is much more timid. She takes after her mom. They always complain about leaving for ski school but enjoy it once they are there.

And for a few hours, I'll have the mountains to myself.

*Break in writing for breakfast and ski gear gathering and ski school drop off*
So the kids are off. I made a quick stop at the grocery for milk so I can have a chai later today. I made myself a tall glass of juice (my current favorite recipe is kale, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon and ginger - impossible to feel unhealthy after drinking that!) and am currently cozy in front of the fire. I'm going to do a long meditation (I haven't been meditating lately and I definitely feel the need), then I think I'll go snowshoeing to get outside. Also on today's list is a nap, some magazine reading, and a treadmill run (it is too snowy to run outside and later I'll probably take the kids to swim while I run). Need to use a little time to be productive  - catching up on emails, look over my to do list, etc. And most certainly there will be some time for daydreaming...

A good day.

No comments: