Friday, January 04, 2013

To Blog or Not to Blog

I've been toying with the idea of stopping the blog for awhile... actually a little longer than awhile...

Seems like every December I start to feel like the blog is more of a hassle than a benefit. Usually I get the urge to start blogging again after Christmas, but not this year. At least not yet.

I made the decision several Decembers ago to bring the blog down a notch. I decided to switch the focus to my family and my thoughts. For those who have been around long enough, Greenstylemom had just been mentioned in Real Simple magazine. My page views soared through the roof, and I was feeling the pressure to step it up. At about the same time, someone I knew was violently killed. It was not a great way to end what had been a really tough year for me anyway. (I never mentioned any of this on the blog - that is a funny thing about my blog. Most people - even friends & family - tend to think that if they read the blog, they know what is going on in my life. What I put on the blog is such a fraction of life.) I took it all pretty hard and took a break from blogging. So it seems that every December I now fall back into the same funk that mostly manifests itself in a lack of blogging.

It has also been irking me that certain people get a regular glimpse into my life and thoughts, but I don't get any details from them.  A petty, usually fleeting feeling, but there it is.

We are up in the mountains skiing and relaxing this week. Even though we celebrated New Years, I don't quite feel the newness yet. Maybe when we get out of vacation mode and back to real life, I'll feel more inspired.

5 comments:

Angela Miller said...

I gave up blogging a couple of years ago. Every once in a while I think about starting it back up and then quickly realize that I won't keep it up. Oh, well! Maybe some day. For now I need to focus on my family. The normal everyday stuff and homeschooling keep me very busy. All that to say, I totally understand!!! I do enjoy reading your blog though and trying to keep up with part of your life :)

Marie Green said...

I've been reading FOREVER, and I can't imagine you stopping. Take a break if you need, but come back! :)You should ask for blog topic ideas, maybe... I'd be interested in hearing on your thought about cohousing now that you've moved on... and whether you'd ever consider it again, for example.

Kate said...

I enjoy reading your blog...but I have the same struggles with keeping up on the writing and posting. And, I had no idea you were so famous. :) By the way...I still have your block from the guild swap, along with a little gift I think you'd like. Send me your address and I'll get it to you. And, I hope you keep writing. :)

Anonymous said...

If you do end it, give us warning so I can copy my favorite recipes I refer back to! But I hope you will just take a break and come back some day. Would it help if we (your friends/readers) commented more? I usually will email you before I comment, but I could comment so it is more two-sided for you. What do you think? --Melissa R

Charlie Hendricks said...

We've just started a new blog and I am trying to find the motivation to stick with it. It's tough. I hope you stick with it.