Thursday, September 06, 2012

Randomness

from life. Mostly from life the last week. In no particular order.

  • Homeschooling is still going really well. I finally figured out that I need to present new information for most of our basic subjects first thing in the morning and then leave the kids with a list of work to do. This is great for a number of reasons - 1) Although I'm available for questions, it leaves me with a bigger chunk of time to get things done around the house. 2) It motivates the kids to get their work done and not lollygag. 3) It encourages independent learning. 4) The kids sometimes go to each other for help instead of me. 4) There is less struggle to get the work done.
  • Sometimes I feel like all I do is feed things all day - the kids, the dog, the cats, the hedgehog, the fish, the chickens... even the sourdough starter! Admittedly, I usually delegate out the feeding jobs (except for the sourdough starter), but at the end of the day, I have to mentally make sure everyone has been fed at least one meal. Seems like a lot of food responsibility.
  • Jack started lacrosse yesterday. He's really excited if not really coordinated. It was *fun* to round up a gaggle of gear for a sport that I know NOTHING about. The equipment list included male protection gear. Yup, I got to purchase my son his first cup.
  • Thanks to some wonderful friends we got to go to this season's first Air Force Academy football game. It is so much fun - jets, skydivers, cheerleaders, bounce houses, catered buffet (for those of us with access to the Blue & Silver club), ice cream, marching band... oh, and some football! I hope we find time to go to another game this season.
  • Matt and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary on Labor Day. Actually, we celebrated on Sunday with friends that also got married Labor Day weekend. The girls had a little spa morning - got my toes painted Just Spotted The Lizard green from the OPI Spiderman collection. Both kids think it is fabulous, but green-gold toenails are not really me. Although I should probably get used to it since I probably won't get around to another pedicure until spring! The adults officially celebrated together that night with a lovely dinner at Relish.
  • My sister is in Colorado for 2 whole weeks. Looking forward to our time together. Love watching Kate follow Tia around alternating acting like a lovesick puppy and like a too cool sidekick.
  • Kids started back to their one day a week homeschool program. That day was so busy for us, that we left the house at 8am and didn't return until after 8pm. Feel like I'm still recovering from that.
  • Went apple picking with my sister today. It was too hot for apple picking.
I think there was more I wanted to say, and I wanted to add some photos. But bedtime has arrived!

No comments: