Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Best Plans

Sometimes I need a good reminder from life that when things don't go as planned, it's because there is something better waiting for me. I seem to have to relearn this over and over and over.

Last evening, I was sitting in a restaurant, splitting a BBQ sandwich with Matt, and pretty annoyed at God and The Universe for spoiling my plans. Matt and I were on a date night and had planned to hike the incline together.  I had been looking forward to this for days. Just as we were leaving our house, the clouds burst open in a massive downpour. I had been pretty clear about my intentions for the evening, and the horizontal rain did not look like a storm about to blow over. We had already picked up my car at the auto shop and gone to dinner in the hopes that it would clear up. I was not happy and did not wan to let go of our plans. Just as I finally relented to Plan B (going to REI), we noticed clear sky peaking out from the mountain peaks. Turning immediately around, we headed to our initial destination.

When we arrived at the bottom of the incline, there was a full, intense, double rainbow behind us and a completely empty incline ahead of us (the incline is normally packed full of people!). It was a perfect, magical climb - just us, cool temps, humid air, and a double rainbow. I even PR'd the climb despite stopping for photo ops. I had to audibly apologize to the heavens for my earlier annoyance. Date Night was much better than I could have imagined, much less planned.
Double rainbow
Cool clouds
Rainbows
All to ourselves
More clouds
At the top
You know when you have those times in your life that feel so good and special, and you know you'll never forget that feeling? This was one for me. They always seem to be unexpected. And to think I was all grumbly not knowing that I was about to have a moment. Makes me wonder where else in my life this is happening...

As a side unrelated to all the above touchy feel thoughts, the incline has been in the news a lot lately. There is a big article this month in Runner's World, and ESPN just did a little blurb also. And I should also add that we did run into two people coming up as we went down (that was the first and the LAST time I ever go down the incline... Barr Trail for ever more!). I predicted from the top who it was when they were just peanut sized to us, and I was right! It was two friends, and one is a frequent running partner of mine. Fun.

No comments: