Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Evacuation

To witness a disaster like we are experiencing in Colorado Springs is indescribable. Have to bullet my thoughts.

  • Our house is not in any immediate danger. Our neighborhood is not under any sort of evacuation notice. However, some of the neighborhoods just across the highway from us are under mandatory evacuation. Just feels too close.
  • The kids and I left Colorado Springs this afternoon. We plan to stay in our mountain home for at least a few days. Maybe even a few weeks. Matt has to stay in town to work. Thankfully he can take care of my chickens! Again, we left because of the smoke/air quality, not because of any immediate danger to our home.
  • The smoke has been incredibly bad at times and really affected me. Nose plugged, eyes watering, can't wear my contacts, short of breath, etc. The fresh, high mountain air feels so good!
  • As I packed to leave, I could only imagine what it must be like for the evacuees to have to leave with such short notice. I could suddenly prioritize so easily what should come and what could stay.
  • You better believe I brought my sewing machine with me! It was not easy to leave my stash of fabric...
  • The glow of burning houses last night was so surreal yet very traumatizing.
  • The kids seem to be doing okay. Jack gets a little worked up and scared at times. Trying to keep the news broadcasting and lots of the fire talk away from them. Just knowing there is a big fire burning houses is more than enough for their little hearts.
  • Thank you to everyone who has emailed/texted/called/Facebooked (when did Facebook became a verb?!?). I'm not very good at responding in the best of times, so I'm sorry if I have neglected any responses. It is good to hear from friends.
  • We know lots of people who live in the burn areas. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
  • These are the best photos I've seen of the disaster. I didn't realize how much emotion I had pent up until after I looked through these pictures. I burst into tears. Literally.
  • And then a friend just called to tell me about these aerial photos. Unbelievable.
  • I am torn between being glued to the live broadcasting to stay informed and turning it off so that I don't get all worked up (and I'm a pretty laid back sort of person, except, it seems, in the face of disaster)
  • I emptied the pantry of all nonperishable items before we left. Matt is delivering them to the food bank.
  • And to end on a happy note, my good friend had a beautiful baby girl yesterday. I got to snuggle on her a little this morning before we left. And she happened to be born on my parents' wedding anniversary.

3 comments:

Dayna at Precut Paradise said...

Sending you good thoughts from Boulder!! It has been a scary couple of days!

Jen said...

Glad to read something from you. We've been thinking about y'all and watching the evacuation/burn maps to check on y'all. I'm glad you're getting some fresh air.

Tiffany said...

Oh man! I cannot image what you and your friends are going through. Glad you could escape but I am still thinking about you.