Friday, June 22, 2012

30 Days of Organization - #15 Baking Basket

I am highly distractible. Highly. I start one thing, notice something else that needs to get done, which leads to test something else. And I rarely get back to the original "thing." At least not that same day.

After taking a nap today, I no longer felt like a slug and decided to sort through and organize my enormous pile of recipes. As I started sorting, I came across a recipe for high protein banana muffins that a friend gave to me a couple years ago. After making them a few times (and loving them!), I somehow forgot about the recipe. Seeing the recipe reminded me that I had 5 smooshie bananas all ready for banana bread. So I left my recipe sorting project to make some banana muffins. While mixing it all up, I realized that my baking basket was a mess, so while the muffins baked, I got that little basket all reorganized.
I've had my baking basket since right after Matt and I got married. I would bake a lot in those pre-kid, pre-drop-in-the-metabolism days and didn't like having to pull down all the little boxes and jars every time I wanted to make something. I decided to put them all in a little basket to make it easier, and my baking basket was born. I've actually been using the same basket for over a decade. And now it is all clean and organized again...

My baking basket contains baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and muffin tin liners.

Making the muffins also led to a few other organization projects. Guess the recipes will just have to be chaos for a bit longer...
***************************************************************
Oh! and do you want the banana muffin recipe? It's pretty yummy for being a high protein. I'm always nervous about sharing recipes for baked goods because I live at a pretty high altitude (6500 ft). I never know if what turns out well for me will work at sea level. Plus I make a lot of adjustments as I go so that it all "looks" right. But I also hate when people blog about a recipe and then don't share it, so here it is...


High Protein Banana Muffins

3/4 cup sugar
2T butter, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
4-6 mashed bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used greek yogurt today)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I used almond butter today)
3 scoops vanilla protein powder (whey or soy... I prefer whey)
1 T ground flaxseed
1 T wheat germ
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used half a bag of mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 325. Cream together sugar, butter and applesauce. Stir in eggs. Add bananas, buttermilk, vanilla, peanut butter. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients except for chocolate chips, just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into greased muffin tin or tin liners (I used about 1/4 cup in each well). Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Muffins about 25 minutes. Makes 3 dozen. They freeze well.

No comments: