Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Running

I can't decide if I love running right now or if it sucks. Here are thoughts/updates/events in no particular order.

  • I was signed up to do a marathon in June. For some crazy reason, I thought I could/would do my long runs in Europe. I realized right before we left that I would NOT do my long runs and that I didn't want to lug my running paraphernalia (water bottles/belt, energy snacks, etc) across the ocean. Smart move. I did run a few times in Switzerland, and that was nice.
  • We arrived in Paris on the day of the Paris Marathon and left London the day of the London Marathon. If I had known, I would have trained to run one of those. Could have been tapering the first 2 weeks in Europe. Towards the end of the trip I was feeling antsy to run, and decided that I absolutely could run a marathon in June with just 8 weeks of training.
  • Then I got home and got hit with jet lag and didn't run for the first 10+ days. Decided again NOT to run the marathon. (But the good news? The week Matt had off to travel to marathon is now going to be used for a trip to NY for Matt and the kids. I'm still deciding if I should enjoy my time at home or do a little trip to Minnesota to celebrate birthdays with some girlfriends). Wonder if I can postpone my entry?
  • I've only run twice since we got back from Europe. Both times with my friend Jill. Both times felt really good. Both times about 4 miles.
  • I have been playing a decent amount of tennis to compensate for not running. I was going to run this morning, but I pulled a muscle (my glute?) which is causing some back pinchy back pain. I went to yoga this morning instead of running.
  • I've been reading the book Train Like a Mother (Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the publisher, and I personally know one of the authors Dimity. She used to be a neighbor. I don't think the free book is influencing my opinion, but Dimity being such great person might be...), and now I'm all motivated to do one of the training plans. I love that their training plans have "must do" runs and "not absolutely necessary" runs. Plus it mixes it up the runs without getting too complicated. To work my mileage back up, I might just start with their 5K OWN IT plan. See if I can reach my 5K goal this summer.
  • I also need to find/start a sprint triathlon training plan. How in the world am I going to fit running, biking, swimming, tennis, yoga and sleep into my life?
  • I got to see Dimity last night doing a little presentation at The Colorado Running Company (by far the best running store in town). I had her sign my book, and I bought myself a shirt. (I liked this one because even though it is supposed to be running, I think the figure also looks like a tennis player. I can use it for both.) And I ate a lot of honeydew melon. Yum.
  • While I was chatting at the running store after listening to Dimity, I tried the ProStretch. Wow. It gave me a really good stretch in the calves (which is where I think I'm tight and why I've been having some foot/glute/back issues - I blame this on tennis, not running). Despite the good stretch, I thought it was just an unnecessary piece of plastic. And, then, at about midnight, in a sleep deprived state, I ordered it off Amazon. I sorta can't wait for it to get here.
  • I'm getting a massage today. Ah.
  • All this NOT running is messing with my 40 for 40 list of goals, especially the run 1000 miles this year. I might have to give myself and mileage equivalent for playing tennis like I do for biking and swimming. Maybe 3 miles for every hour I play? Although 5-6 miles is probably more accurate. Wonder if my garmin would track my mileage while I play?
  • I need to decide if I am going to try to run a marathon later this year...

No comments: