Tuesday, May 22, 2012

John James Audubon

Also wrapping up our first biography study. Resources for studying John James Audubon
  • American Flamingo study (Also listed as a flamingo resource - The Picturing America Teacher's Guide is a GREAT!)
  • The Original Water Color Paintings For the Birds of America - after checking out a volume from the local library, I decided I wanted this book in our collection. Ordered a used one from Amazon for about $30. Really happy with that decision. Miss D had so much fun looking through our book with the kids, that I went back and ordered one for her also! I was inspired by this Picture Talks post when looking at the prints with the kids.
  • Non Fiction Books: The Boy Who Drew Birds (I was lucky enough to find this at a used book fundraiser), Into the Woods, and 2 young reader biographies from the library.
  • Fiction: A Nest for Celeste
  • Video: John James Audubon: Drawn From Nature
  • Completed a Biography Worksheet. I couldn't find a biography report online that was suitable for our needs. I combined up a few that I saw online, made up some of my own questions, and used that for our biography worksheet. One of these days I'll figure out how to post PDFs to my website and then I'll share!
  • I wanted to do an art project related to our Audubon studies and originally thought we would do some sort of print project, but then an art friend of mine (Hi, Gabriella!) gave me some great advice. She pointed out that Audubon was really known for his detail, and an art study of detail was really more appropriate. I had the kids do drawings paying attention to all the little details (we drew flowers since they hold still better than birds!)
  • Discussion of the Audubon Society and its purpose. We also joined their membership to support their efforts. (I looked up our local chapter. We might try to join them on an outing sometime, but nothing works right now. What I love about homeschooling is that even when we are "done" with a subject, we are more aware of that subject and more open to learning opportunities)
  • I also read (um, skimmed, mostly) a biography of Audubon for myself.
  • THIS is a great resource for studying Audubon which I didn't find until late.
Studying Audubon made a nice transition into studying birds.

No comments: