Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Little Homeschooling Abroad

We have been back in Geneva since last Friday. Matt left to go back to Colorado on Sunday (someone must work to support this little adventure!). I'll get back to blog our first few days here. Eventually.

Yesterday was a quiet day. A mostly stay at home day. Did some laundry. And some schoolwork.

I had intended for the kids to write daily in their writing journals, but we have failed horribly in that endeavor. We have mostly stayed busy touring during the day and are thus exhausted in the evening. Me more than them.

Finally we found the time to use our writing journals as I had envisioned. First I had both of them write about their experience visiting the Chateau de Chillon the previous day. To work on the concept of "Show Not Tell" in writing, I then had each write a page of words and phrases that could be used to describe the castle. Our lists included: big, cold, skinny windows, has a dungeon, surrounded by water, made of stone and wood, filled with weapons, used to have a drawbridge, among others. I read excerpts from Lord Byron's poem "The Prisoner of Chillon" (wish I could figure out how to add links!!) to hear how a famous writer showed us the same castle. Finally we played a riddle exercise where we each wrote out a description of an animal, read the description to the others and let everyone guess. Jack and I wrote almost identical descriptions of the cheetah!

We also found time to work on math, specifically memorizing addition and subtraction facts, and some reading comprehension. Meant to do a little geography, but we'll get to that tomorrow.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: