Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Yearly Recap

Thought I'd join in the yearly recap fun from All & Sundry.
(I have NO IDEA why this is publishing funny and you can't read the ends of the sentences... I'm trying to fix it without losing all my links!)
(Okay, I think it is fixed even if the spacing looks a little funny.) 
(Wait! Now it's not working again! Ugh!)
(Please work this time, please work this time...)


1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? I went to a therapist (mentioning this in the spirit of trying to be more authentic on the blog). I always thought that going to a therapist was a little goofy (and my mom is one!), but I can see now why people like it so much. There is something a bit cathartic about the experience.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
 yes and no. See 2011 Resolutions Final Review blog post
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? 
My good friend Michelle, my friend Siri and Matt's sister all had baby boys
4. Did anyone close to you die? My cat Samuel. This question makes me nervous because I can't think of any humans that died in 2011. And I'm going to feel really stupid if a person died and all I mention is my cat.
5. What countries did you visit? Just the good ol' USA. And Texas. :)

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? a daily housekeeper and a personal assistant... actually, seriously,  I've really felt a lack of purpose lately. I'd really like to find that again in 2012. Not really sure how I am going to find it, but I'm sure going to be looking. Although I'd have more time to look if I had that housekeeper or personal assistant...
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? There really aren't any dates that stand out for me. I did like 11-11-11 although nothing really happened that day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
 This question makes me a little depressed. I can't think of a single worthy achievement to list. Think this might go back to #6 and needing some purpose.
9. What was your biggest failure? I guess to balance out my inability to think of a biggest achievement, I also can't think of a major failure either. At least not one I'm willing to admit on a public blog.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I'm normally pretty healthy, but I had a few relatively minor issues in 2011.  In August I had a little foot injury that I was afraid was a stress fracture, but Matt felt it was just a little overuse injury from running or tennis or a combo of the two. I (mostly) stopped running for about a month to heal it up. I also strained my lower back this fall. It HURT. Constantly. You don't realize how much you use your back until you can't. Fortunately rest and massage and stretching and the hot tub helped. Now I'm faithful about stretching everyday. There was also that darn flu bug that kept me down for a couple weeks in Oct/Nov. Blah.
11. What was the best thing you bought? trampoline for the kids - that thing was worth every penny!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? my kids while traveling
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? hmmm... I think I'll keep my opinion on this to myself
14. Where did most of your money go? I just looked at our 2011 spending, and it seems that most of our money went to the category of "Hobbies and Sports." I purposefully put skiing stuff and fabric in the same category so that my fabric spending seems fuzzy...
15. What did you get really excited about? Hawaii. Especially the sea turtles. And the dolphins. And the papaya. And the slippers. I do well with lots of vitamin D.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011? Can't think of a single song that will remind me of 2011.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder? honestly? sadder. But I'm still mostly happy thinner or fatter? about the same. Maybe a tad thinner, but definitely fitter richer or poorer? Richer, although I don't like that word. More financially stable seems better.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? cooking. I really slacked off this last year.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
 surfing the web
20. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas Eve with just our family, Miss D joined us for Christmas morning, and we had a wonderful Christmas dinner with friends
21. Did you fall in love in 2011? Not with anyone new
22. What was your favorite TV program? Friday Night Lights. So sad when I watched the last one, yet so relieved to be over my addiction
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate is such a strong word. There are definitely people that I dislike a bit more than last year. Nothing has really changed between now and then except that I have begun to fully understand how I have accepted poor treatment for the sake of peace and how I tend to put other people's needs/feelings before my own and even at the expense of my own needs/feelings (see #1)
24. What were your favorite books of the year? Half the Sky and Racing in the Rain. 
25. What was your favorite music from this year?
 I am so not a music person...
26. What did you want and get? a working piano
27. What did you want and not get? a TrailManor camper
28. What were your favorite films of the year? Dolphin Tale. Wish I could come up with something more intellectual, but that was my favorite.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? We spent the weekend in the mountains with Miss D. I turned 39. But I still feel 22. Except for that sore lower back thing.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? How can I name just one?!? A clean and organized basement. A little tummy liposuction. Non-whiny children. A personal assistant. I could go on and on.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Bringing tennis skirts to the streets. If I was a trend setter, you could expect to see tennis skirts in all the big fashion magazines this year. Seems like I always have one on. Kate even asked me NOT to wear them for school pick-up anymore...  I did have someone say to me that she thought I tried to downplay myself when dressing. That was a bit of an eye opener (in a good way) even if it isn't completely true. I'm really just too busy/distracted/lazy to get cleaned up most days. I think I look pretty good when I get away from my day to day workout and mothering routines. But I have been trying to make a bit more of an effort.
32. What kept you sane? running and chocolate and not necessarily in that order
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Kate Middleton. How can you not love a royal wedding?
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I'm sure there was something, I just can't think of anything right now
35. Who did you miss? My friend Elizabeth
36. Who was the best new person you met? I haven't really met anyone new that is involved in my life. I guess I could name the kids' teachers. Or the ladies I've met through tennis. I'd name my tennis partner, but technically I met her before 2011.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
 I'm not as crazy as I thought.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "If you're gonna be there.. be there. If you're gonna stay.. stay tonight. Start livin', out with the old.. I'm on the up.. Must be the good life.." - Howie Day

3 comments:

Marie Green said...

It might be my browser, but I can't read the end of any of the sentences? It cuts off on the right margin.

Marie Green said...

Oh, but I CAN read it just fine in Google Reader. Weird.

PopMom said...

this seems like a great exercise. i could use a little focus and redefinition!! don't be so hard on yourself and look forward to 40 with joy and great expectation! (at least that's what i'm telling myself this year!)