Monday, August 22, 2011

Addendum For Today

I almost got eaten by a bear on my run today!!

I was having a GREAT run in my new shoes, coming down a big hill in Bear Creek Park. Just as I got the the bottom of the other side of the hill, out steps a big mama bear and a small cub about 20-30 feet ahead of me. It took me a moment to recognize what they were (I initially thought they were 2 chocolate labs off-leash). Everything felt like it was going in slow motion, but it must have only taken another moment to hear the mama bear's growl as I came to a quick halt, turn around and sprint away. I ran back up that hill faster than I've ever run! I paused about half way up to make sure mama wasn't following me (she wasn't!), got the the top and... puked! Guess the adrenaline plus the world record pace and a cocoa PowerBar wasn't a good combo.

I attempted to finish my run on the other side of the park, but I just couldn't get me legs and my brain to function anymore. The only thought I remember having while it was all happening? I was wishing I had my phone so that I could take a photo to prove it to everyone!

9 comments:

Beth Moore said...

Holy crap! I'm so glad you escaped...eek!

KL said...

Holy Cow Scary!! We had our first Black Bear sighting in my town just last winter and as I am happy the population is rebuilding, I really don't want to ever run into one.

Kate said...

Oh my gosh...I would've puked too! I had your name for the bee block this month...I'm sure you'll understand if it's a bit late? I do have plans to finish it up this week, and I'll drop it in the mail asap. Do you want to email me your address? Hope the rest of your day is far less exciting!

Penny said...

eeeek!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness gracious!! That's SCARY!!! Did you report it? Oh my goodness. I would have puked, too. I'm glad you're okay!

Jen said...

Holy Cow! I want to puke thinking about it!

Jean said...

Good thing that you didn't have your phone.... or we might be seeing a picture of the inside of her mouth!!!
Glad that your alright... guess you need to run with bells on your shoes! I think that I would be changing my running route for quite a while.

ashlee said...

you need to send this into Runner's World. Or something. I'm glad you're still alive. I would really miss you. (were you really sore today?). :)

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness - you never want to be around a mama and her cub! Amazing experience that I bet you never want to do again.