Monday, May 02, 2011

Daybook 5.2.11

FOR TODAY
Outside my window... hazy mountains and sunshine. The peak was clear and a beautiful pink as the sun rose on my morning run, but now I can only see snow covered evergreens peaking through the mist.

I am thinking... that cheering anyone's death seems wrong to me. I understand the satisfaction and the lack of mourning but not the celebration.

I am thankful for... my iPhone. I really love this silly little device.

From the kitchen... hot chai for breakfast, cupcakes for the cupcake decorating class that Kate and I are taking together, date balls - my current favorite accompaniment to afternoon tea, soaking beans for ham and beans and cornbread

I am wearing... black running pants, hot pink half zip, Nike running jacket, and my running shoes - all very sweaty and smelly!

I am creating... a sunglasses case for the FRMQG swap, and once I sew on the binding for the 3 quilts I'm currently quilting, I'm going to reward myself by starting a new project.

I am going... to volunteer appreciation in kindy, my tennis lesson, the post office and Costco

I am reading... Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things... still. Just haven't had much time to sit and read. Need to get in bed earlier. I just started listening to The Paris Wife yesterday. Excited for this one.

I am hoping... for some lovely gardening weather this week.

I am hearing... kids feet walking around upstairs. They are getting ready for school, and I am getting ready for them.

Around the house...
I'm at peace with my house right now. It's not where I want it to be, but that's okay. I'll be satisfied if this week I can work my compost pile, compost my garden bed, keep the kitchen hygienic, and do a couple loads of laundry. I'll be REALLY happy if I can convince myself to just donate all my "save for a garage sale" stuff to the ARC.

One of my favorite things... Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries from Trader Joe's. I bought several bags when I was in Minnesota, but had to hide them away in the pantry because I gave up chocolate for lent. I've been making up for lost time.

A few plans for the rest of the week: lots 'o tennis (lesson, fun play, league practice, serve practice and maybe some mixed doubles - whew!), some early morning runs, hopefully a yoga class, shopping and dinner with a friend, lunch with another friend, a visit from cousin Hannah, school carnival, time with Matt on his days off, delivery of our new piano.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing: love snuggling with my babies!!

4 comments:

Marie Green said...

I agree about celebrating someone's death. Just doesn't sit right with me. I understand the significance, but being JUBILANT over it... over a murder. Well, it makes me squirmy too. (And I come from a military family, and my brother actually served in Iraq, so it's not like I'm in the dark about the military's sacrifices.)

Traci said...

I love that picture! I love looking through the pictures on Nic's phone because we have a bunch of these from over the years!

Traci said...

Sorry for the double post but I was thinking about what you said about celebrating death, and I've read it a couple of times this morning and it struck me, because I didn't feel that way about it as I watched last night. I don't think they were so much celebrating his death as just the accomplishment of triumphing over him. Our economy sucks, we're fighting these seemingly unwinable wars, people hate us so much that we can't take water on an airplane, and we've been looking for this guy who masterminded an attack that killed thousands and forever changed all of our lives (I started college four days after the attacks and joined ROTC within weeks because of it) for almost 10 years. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought he'd never be found and felt like it was a useless effort. I think the American psyche needed a win, and this was the win. But I bet if the announcement had been that Obama had fixed gas prices to $1.25, there would have been similar happy flash mobs. ;) (And I actually probably would have joined in!)

I could be wrong, and I think the desire for vengeance is pretty strong, but I also suspect that if we weren't in such a crappy place as a nation that the response wouldn't have been as strong.

Dawn said...

Cute picture! The Paris Wife sounds interesting. I've been looking for some more good books to read.
I'm with ya' on not feeling celebratory about a death, no matter how evil he was. The comments I've been reading on FB today have been disturbing.