Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Samuel Cat

My old cat Samuel died yesterday. He was almost 14 years old - pretty old for an indoor/outdoor cat. I loved to tease everyone that Samuel had been in my life longer than anyone else in our household. I'm pretty sad but doing fine. I suppose the full impact won't hit me for a few days.

My favorite photo of Samuel
Even though his death was unexpected (we found him in the basement - it looked like he literally just fell over and died), I'm grateful that he didn't have a prolonged illness and that I didn't have to make the decision to put him down. He certainly didn't seem to be in any pain, and slept in his normal spot between my legs the previous night. I still would have preferred to be with him or to give him a last good rub.

A friend that called me last night reminded me that Samuel has been a part of my story with Matt since the beginning. When Matt called me up to ask me on our first date, I was living with my friend Jennifer. Our answering machine message said, "You've reached Jennifer, Kristen & Samuel. Please leave a message." Matt says he was a little nervous to leave a message because maybe Samuel was my live-in boyfriend!

The most difficult part was telling the kids. There were tears and lots of questions about the details of death - what is cremation, where did he die, how did we know he was dead, etc. Kate was/is pretty upset. Jack looked surprised, then sad for a minute, then asked if we could get a hamster...

5 comments:

Marie Green said...

Oh, that is sad. Poor Samuel the cat!

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry but I am glad to hear the it was easy for him to go. We have a super old lab, who is doing deaf, and many mornings as I walk by I stop to make sure he is still breathing. I hope when it is his time to go he will go as easy as Samuel. We have been talking to Mikayla about Teo dying soon so hopefully it won't be too too bad.

Penny said...

awww - it's sad when loved and lived long pets go. We still have talks about our kitty and how he died etc with the kids.

I did laugh at Jack's reaction though!

PopMom said...

So sorry, K. Our 2 cats both died last year and it ended up being an opportunity to introduce death to the kids in a simple way. Subsequently, death conversations have been a bit easier b/c now they think the cats are with so-and-so keeping them company, etc. Hearts out to the kids :(

Lauren said...

So sorry about Samuel! It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. Hope you are all handling it okay!