Sunday, February 27, 2011

Front Range Modern Quilt Guild

I first discovered the Modern Quilt Guild a year or so ago. Thought it was great but was disappointed that there was no guild nearby. (For one crazy-filled, split second I thought about starting it myself, but then I came back to my senses... I can't even handle the few things I already do!) So I sorta forgot about it. Then a few weeks ago I meandered back to the MQG website and saw that a Front Range Modern Quilt Guild had been started last fall by Melissa. I immediately joined and am so thrilled to have found this group!
Project Modern
Last weekend was my first meeting (other than a leadership meeting - somehow I've found myself to be secretary of the group. Perfect job for me!) and the group's first sew-in. Other than my days with Miss D and my home economics class in junior high, I haven't really ever sewn with anyone else. It was so encouraging to see everyone pulling out their machines and their projects. I got a good start on a new quilt (although I wasn't supposed to start anything new until I finish some of my other WIP...).

Mid-way through our sewing escapades, we all stopped and did a project together. Angie from the little store Crafty Laine gave us all kits for making little flower pins. They are so cute and so easy. I went home that night and made a pile of them while watching a movie with the kids. I glued a hair clip onto one that I gave to Kate for her birthday.
The whole day was so inspiring, and then I haven't even taken my sewing machine out of its travel bag since I got home! Mostly because I've been ripping stitches all week. And I did a lot of organizing in my new sewing room including sorting through all my scraps last night. I'm heading up to my little room to sew as soon as I hit "publish."

3 comments:

Marie Green said...

I wish you were closer and could be my sewing mentor. I WANT to sew, but it intimidates the shit out of me...

Colorado Knitter said...

oh! I am friends with Crafty Lane on FB. I really want to go check out her store sometime... Mom's field trip maybe?

Melissa said...

LOOK at that pile of flowers! Wow. They look great.
I would like to say, on behalf of all the members of the FRMQG, that we are glad you're with us. :)