Sunday, January 09, 2011

Vision Statements

I mentioned in a blog post a few days ago that I have been working on my 2011 Vision Statements. My friend Jill offered this to our goal setting group, and although the idea appealed to me, I wasn't sure if I would follow through. But when I started doing the End of the Year Ritual from the Not So Big Life book (by my favorite author/architect Sarah Susanka - I can't believe I've never blogged about her - I own ALL her Not So Big House books and I had this one pre-ordered months before it was published), I knew I would at least attempt vision statements.

In her End of the Year Ritual she mentions how expressing wishes is like planting the seeds. We plant the seeds and set the conditions, but we can't make the seeds grow. When you look back, even some you have forgotten may have come into being. There is that notion that "putting it out there" is often the first step. That's probably why I like the goal setting group and my blog. It is my way of putting it out there.

I see my vision statements as seeds or as my "wishes" for life. Where I'd ideally and realistically like to be. I'm doing 6 vision statements that correlate to the areas of my life for which I set goals. Financial, Spiritual, Community/Career, Health/Nutrition/Fitness, Home/Garden/Possessions, Family/Kids, Personal. I worked diligently on these the week before New Years and also set my winter goals.

Originally I wasn't going to publish my vision statements. Something about it felt to personal, too vulnerable. But I think I am going to put them "out there" here on my blog, although I might edit to keep a few things private. Sarah Susanka writes of listening to the inner longings of your heart and then letting them go. I may even try not revisiting these wishes until 2012. Or maybe just look at them quarterly. I've never been very good about letting go. And I've been known to stare at seeds that I want to sprout.

No comments: