Thursday, April 29, 2010
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Saturday, April 24, 2010
1 4oz can mild green chilies, chopped
1-2 crushed garlic cloves
1 19oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ small red pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup bread crumbs
In a large food processor, place all above ingredients up to bread crumbs, pulse until mixture forms a course paste. Add breadcrumbs and pulse until just mixed. Shape into 8 patties. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med heat. Cook the patties for about 4 min per side until golden. Top with a fruit salsa.
- Chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas
(modified from Deceptively Delicious - these are thick cookies, not chewy)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed and mashed
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup oats
1 tsp bakiing soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Beat sugar and butter together. Beat in egg, vanilla, and chickpeas. Mix in flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop onto baking sheet, bake 11-13 minutes. Do not overbake.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
- I get my dried chickpeas from our local Natural Grocer (I now get heirloom beans locally at Extraordinary Ingredients, although I still order occasionally from Rancho Gordo) and usually make 2 bags at a time.
- I sort and soak the chickpeas for at least 24 hours (no scientific reason I soak them so long, I just think they are better soaked longer).
- Dump them into a big pot, cover with a few inches of water, bring to a boil, then simmer for several hours (it takes about 6 hours at this altitude!). The chickpeas will be edible but may not have that creamy taste. Turn off the heat and let the chickpeas cool slowly (I usually put the pot in the fridge to cool all night). That's when mine turn creamy.
- After they are cooled, I put 2 cups (that's a tad more than a can of beans but a few extra beans never hurt, right?) along with some pot juice in ziploc storage containers and freeze.
- When I need a can of chickpeas, I pull out a container, defrost it, rinse the beans and use!
Monday, April 19, 2010
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Thursday, April 08, 2010
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
"But in love - and what else is there to call such regard, such attentiveness, such constant mindfulness? - everything is a sign, an augury that demands interpretation. Nor does it brook any gaps in its knowledge: A silence is not a silence but a message; an absence is not an absence but a reminder of presence elsewhere; the failure of something to occur does not suggest that it is as yet undone, but that a different thing altogether has been willed.""He marveled at the recurrence of this sensation in himself after so many years. It struck him that it was almost exactly like the feeling he had when he recalled something from the past that was lost to him and the combination of sweetness and futile longing catalyzed into something that went uncomfortably beyond nostalgia or sentiment; that if gone into deeply enough could turn to grief and even despair, not so much for any one person, but for everything he had wanted and that had failed to be. Not pangs of love, but of mourning, the one pretty much indistinguishable from the other, except by the time of life in which they struck you.""That is not wistfulness or nostalgia or sentimentality. It is grasping the hard fact that time runs in only one direction, that we have already died a thousand deaths and will die a thousand more, and that there is no remedy for it but love, though we are sure we have never seen love except in the rearview mirror, in the sad and tawdry puddle at the bottom of the glass."
Monday, April 05, 2010
Saturday, April 03, 2010
- Run a 1/2 marathon DONE!!
- Run a 5K in my goal time The 5Ks are eluding me. Just a matter of time before I fit one in.
- Go to yoga 1-2x/week I did great going to yoga in January, slacked off a bit in February, and haven't been at all in March. I'm already wondering how to go this summer when the kids are out of school. The studio I like is adding a room, so maybe the new schedule will miraculously cure my attendance issues.
- Check off two more states towards my goal of visiting all 50 This is NOT going well. My big Lake Michigan summer plans are patoot, and I haven't come up with a good reason to see any other states yet. But the year is still young.
- Visit 2 new national parks with the kids Scheduled. Canyonlands NP in June and Acadia NP in August. We might even sneak in a 3rd park visit.
- Make a quilt. I started cutting pieces, but now I need a new (or different!) sewing machine.