Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Things I Don't Do

A few weeks ago I was listening to a podcast by the author of the book Bittersweet (I have not actually read her book, but I did put it on my BookMooch wishlist). During the podcast they discussed the author's list of what she does NOT do. As a declaration to myself (and now you), I thought it might be a bit of a freeing exercise for me. So I made my own do NOT do list (and do NOT feel guilty for not doing!). And it does feel good. You might want to try it. I'm sure I'll be adding to my list.

Things I Do NOT Do*
  1. Scrapbook
  2. Bargain shop
  3. Clip coupons
  4. PTA
  5. Clean my own house
  6. Sew cute clothing for my children
  7. Twitter
  8. Garage sale
  9. Hand make everything in my home (one of those self-imposed standards...)
  10. Decorate extensively for any holiday
  11. Listen to voicemail (this one I probably should do...)
  12. Iron
  13. Dress my children (they can pick it out and put it on themselves which doesn't always fit my image of my children, but whatever...)
  14. Send cards
  15. Comment on every blog post I read
  16. Make salad dressing
  17. Mow the lawn (that is the one household task that is clearly Matt's)
*Note that I'm not saying that I NEVER do these things. I have the freedom to do them if I feel like it. I just don't do them on a regular basis and refuse to feel pressured (by myself, by others, by society, or by some silly standard I imagine) to do them.

3 comments:

Angela Miller said...

Good for you! :) You should do what works best for you and your family and not be pressured by anyone to do otherwise. I don't do many of the things on your list, but often find myself feeling like I should. :(

Tiffany said...

I followed your style and added and took away from your list with my own on my blog:
http://colorado-mama.blogspot.com/2010/10/things-i-do-not-do.html

PopMom said...

I don't decorate extensively either. I always thought I would, but then that means I have to clean it up. Taking the xmas tree down and packing all that stuff up is hard enough. So forget it.