Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I love this quilt! I'm very proud of it.
I got the fabric in a fat quarter bundle (I think the prints are Denise Schmidt - I added the bicycle print) from Alewives Fabric in Maine when we were there in August. Loved the store! It is on the main land just a few minutes away from where my mother-in-law spends her summers (well, a few minutes from the landing... the boat ride off the island takes a few more minutes!). When I got home, I decided one bundle wasn't enough, so I ordered a second bundle (plus some other bits and pieces, of course!). What a pleasure it was to order from them.
The backing came from Target. Yup, really. I found it the end of summer with the "back to college" bedroom items. I was originally looking at the coordinating sheets, and found this packaged fabric next to it. It was being marketed as a do-whatever-you-want-with-it-in-your-dorm-room item. Curtains, room divider, etc. Wonder if they ever thought it would back a quilt...
This is only the second quilt that I've stippled. Although I notice a few funny spots, overall I'm really pleased with the effect. The binding came from Miss D's stash. She has got an amazing amount of fabric in her stash, and she loves digging through it for just the right piece! I like the contrast of the teal against the pieced fabrics.
I'm not sure what I am going to do with this quilt. I had originally intended to give it as a gift. I had no one in particular in mind (I find it difficult to start a quilt if I am making it for a specific person... too much pressure to make it "just right"), and now I think I may be the recipient. I did tell Matt that we may need to redecorate a room to go with the quilt!

Now I just need to come up with a title for the quilt. Any suggestions?

Check out other quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

18 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

I love that you backed it with fabric from Target! It works great with those colors. Lovely

Tanya said...

I like that backing, a lot! It looks like a misty appalachian (bad spelling) mountain side in an autumn sunrise. I love the structure in the front, too. It reminds me of the layout of land as you travel overhead in an airplane, or the solidness of a man made building. So I think a good name would be "Fields of mist" or "cabins in the mist."

Too deep? :)

Leila said...

I lurve Hope Valley! I'm working on a zig zag quilt in this line at the moment.
Your quilt looks very warm and cozy :-)

Jo Anna said...

Your quilt is very beautiful!

Marie Green said...

Oh, wow, I really really love it too. I think we have a similar aesthetic. Very beautiful, love the color combination, love the fabrics both individually and together. LOVE IT.

Linda said...

Beautiful quilt...great colors and love the back!

Lisa said...

The colors are great ... love the addition of the teal to the collection ... perfect. And the stippling looks like a pro!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Love this quilt! Hope Valley and bicycles is a winning combination in my book.

Kristie said...

Ohhhh, I love this. Especially the backing fabric! Good old Target. AS for a name...something to do with fall? I am terrible with naming, too!

Happy Festival!

AnnieO said...

You have every reason to love this quilt--it looks terrific, front, back and stippling. Maybe its name should be Mine All Mine.

Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

Jessica said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I love the backing, too! So pretty!

baukje said...

What a lovely quilt, the colors are so goos together.

Greetings from France
http://busybeefree.blogspot.com/2010/10/bloctoberfest-and-giveaway.html

Nadine said...

wow, this is gorgeous. I love those colors together.

Penny said...

lovely!

EcoverUS said...

Beautiful work. It's so nice to see that there are still people out there doing hand-crafted work. Nice job!
-Deb for Ecover

SplendorFalls said...

Fabulous! Great colors great backing, all around love love!!

Carol said...

Here's a groaner for a title "Targetree" just because I love the story about where you found the backing fabric and I love the trees.

Leslie said...

this is really beautiful...i love to find sheets and tablecloths on clearance that can be used for quilt backing...i feel so clever! i am loving the colors in this!