Monday, September 20, 2010

Oktoberfest

Despite not being a beer drinker (blech!), we went to the largest Oktoberfest in the Rocky Mountains over the weekend. My goodness, what a madhouse! Had to explain to the kids what "drunk" is.

Still the kids had a great time with the cultural festivities.
And the food. But I never knew that bounce houses are Bavarian! :)
Since I'm mostly German, Matt thinks I should get a little German outfit like this.
I told him I'd be happy to wear one when he starts wearing a kilt! I'd even settle for lederhosen...

It did get me thinking about Kate and Jack's heritage. I'm about 3/4 German and 1/4 Swedish (rumor has it that there is a little Danish housemaid in me also!). Matt is 1/4 Scottish and 1/4 English from his dad, but he isn't sure about his mom's side (the only reason he knows his dad's heritage is because his dad was with us!). My guess would be some combo of English, Irish, and French. So the kids are almost 1/2 German, 1/8 Swedish, 1/8 Scottish, 1/8 English, and a bit more of something else yet to be determined.

Despite all that German blood, neither Kate nor Jack had any interest in learning the German dances or wearing the clothes!

What are you and your kids?

2 comments:

Penny said...

buahahaha! You would rock the dirndl :P

Ours... genetically we're basically poms (English) as far as I know. A trickle of Scotch from Rod's mum's side.

Tiffany said...

I am all German and my hubby is mostly Irish with some Noreigen thrown in. Joe is big on emphaising the Irish though!