Friday, August 27, 2010

50lbs

of apples sitting in my kitchen!!
The kids (already!) had a day off from school this week, so we went apple picking. And, yes, it does seem early but apples ripen earlier in Colorado than they do in other parts of the country.
We invited our friend Miss D to go along with us. I keep meaning to blog about Miss D and what an important part of our lives she has become. Last winter I was feeling that I wasn't making much of a difference in the world and applied to be a volunteer senior advocate through a local agency that provides for the elderly. I went through some training in January, but it wasn't until late spring that I was finally matched with my client - Miss D. It is a match made in heaven! We have so much in common - travel, quilting, gardening, etc. Her life stories are so inspiring to me. Plus she loves the kids, the kids love her, and I love her! My intention was to spend 1-2 hours a week volunteering, but I sometimes spend 8+ hrs a week with Miss D. I hate to even call it volunteering since I enjoy it so much. I hope to be as positive and active as she is when I am in my 80's. Actually... I strive to be more like her now!
Back to apples. It was a miserably hot day, but we picked and snacked and picked and climbed and picked. Everyone was so enthusiastic about picking that I didn't have the heart to tell them (including Miss D!) that enough is enough. So we brought home far too many apples (I was also intending on Miss D taking a bag, but she didn't want to peel them!) It was worth it as we all had a marvelous time, and Miss D wants me to take her back next week to pick blackberries!
In the meantime, I have to figure out what to do with these 50lbs of apples!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds like there might be some applesauce in your future. ;) That program that you're involved with, where you met Mrs. D, sounds wonderful!

Sarah said...

Sounds great! I'll help you make apple sauce, apple pie, and freeze some...

Penny said...

Yum! I bottled several bottles of apples last summer and I wish I'd made more now. I just did plain sweetened apple (no spice) so I could use it for a variety of purposes. I'd recommend doing that. Freezing some in the form of sauce or stewed would be good too. Miss D would probably be happy with some bottles!

Chutney, apple butter and stuff like that would be good too.

Tiffany said...

What fun! I would love to take the girls apple picking. I would make lots and lots of applesauce and freeze it. My girls and all of us for that matter LOVE homemade applesauce.