Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Speaking of Birds...

A few weeks ago, the kids and I were lounging in my bed like we normally do in the morning when we don't have to be anywhere early. We noticed a robin couple building a nest in the lilac bush just outside. I was very excited because we were going to have a perfect view of what I knew would take place over the next few weeks.

A few days later look what we saw in the nest! (I have 100+ year old windows that are really wavy so good photos are sorta difficult. Some of the others I was able to take through just the screen)
That mama robin was so faithful about sitting on her nest. I think I only saw her off the nest 3 times in 2 weeks. It has become our morning ritual to snuggle in my big bed and look out at the nest to watch for progress.

One afternoon, Kate was excited to find some bright blue shell below the nest. Unfortunately it was a little too early for any birdies to be hatching. Not sure what happened. Did it fall? Did something get it?
We waited and waited.
Finally on Father's Day, we saw two tiny heads with really big mouths poking out!
And another good view yesterday morning. I think they are already starting to look a little fuzzier.
Now we are wondering how long it will be before they leave the nest. We are all working on keeping the back door closed so Oscar will stay away!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

We have a hummingbird that made a nest on a large wire that runs between the house and the garage. I think it is a phone line. My hubby saw the baby but so far I have not.

Sarah said...

We were able to watch a black bird nest outside my son's window. It was fun to watch his fascination with what was going on. It was kind-of sad when the baby birds flew away from the nest.
We also have a robin in a nest by our driveway; I always check on her when I come home. I'm not sure her eggs are going to hatch because she has been sitting in there for about 2 months and nothing has happened yet.

Dawn said...

How exciting! That is such a privilege to witness.

Penny said...

:) So neat. Your robins are different to the ones I'm use to.

Stephanie said...

Lovely photos Kristen!