Monday, June 21, 2010

Menu Planning Monday

Sunday - Girls' Night out at Nosh (Martini flight, sweet potato fries - of course! roasted beets, roasted cauliflower, chicken & waffles - OMG that was good! Plus I was brave enough to try the fried trout head eyeballs. Not bad. And can't forget the chocolate lover's platter.)

Monday - Runner's World fettuccine Alfredo, green salad
Notes: I haven't made "real" Alfredo sauce in years since it sorta grosses me out to see what all is in it (cream, butter, cheese, more cream, more butter, more cheese). This was really, really good, and I'm so happy to have a healthier alternative. Plus it was really easy and really fast AND my kids LOVED it.

Tuesday - Pizza delivery with my friend Jen & kids

Wednesday - Vegetarian Taco Salad (recipe below)
Family Review: Kids seemed to really like it. Kate told me it was "awesome." Even Jack's friend eating with us ate a decent bit.

Thursday - Matt went mountain biking with friend so I took the kids out for Chinese food. We rarely have Chinese, so it was a fun treat. We learned what years we each fall under - I'm a rat, Kate's a monkey, and Jack is a cock.

Friday - Leftover Chinese food at home

Saturday - on my own... sensing a theme to these weekend meals...

***********************

Vegetarian Taco Salad
2T olive oil
1 large onion
1.5 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
2 cans of black beans NOT drained (I use my homemade frozen beans... could also substitute kidney or pinto beans)
1 packet taco seasoning

Heat oil in skillet, add onion and corn, cook until onion begins to brown, add beans & taco seasoning, stir well. May need to add a little water if too thick.

Serve bean mixture with your choice of taco ingredients: corn chips/taco shells, lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced peppers, grated cheese, dice avocado, salsa, sour cream and/or ranch dressing

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Menu planning was a real challenge for me too, but I recently found this great software that has helped simplify my life a lot! Cook'n Recipe Organizer makes planning my meals easy. I just input my recipe, Put it on a weekly menu, and Cook'n can print out my menu, and even generate a shopping list for me. It has made planning meals extremely easy, and has already helped me save money.

PopMom said...

I hesitate to try a "redo" of Alfredo sauce. It is one of my favorite indulgences and I'm pretty picky about how it's done. This looks interesting though...I'd certainly be able to eat it more if it were toned down a bit.