Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Herb Garden

I had a huge herb garden when we lived in Indianapolis. Our yard was too shady for veggies, but the herbs thrived. I had all the "regulars" but also put in every other herb I could find! Most I never actually used. I was so sad to leave it and couldn't wait to start a new one.

That was 5 years ago! This year I've finally started my Colorado herb garden in our new house. I wanted it close to the house for easy access, not in the far corner of the back yard. This is just out our back door, off the deck and under my office window. I'm starting with just some basics this year... oregano, 2 varieties of thyme, chives, garlic chives, parsley and sage.
You can see where some of the previous plantings continue to come up. I need to find a new home for them so the herbs can fill in more. My mint is in a big pot under one of the shrubs so it can't go crazy.
I've also got basil, rosemary and cilantro in pots on the deck where I have a bit more control of the water.
There might not be anything that makes me happier than going out and snipping my own fresh herbs to use in cooking.

4 comments:

Penny said...

mmm - love herbs too.

PopMom said...

I can't stand buying herbs...especially when you only need a little bit. It's awesome to just clip off what you need.

Marie Green said...

We grow a small container garden too. I have mint, basil, parsley, cilantro, 2 kinds of peppers, and 2 kinds of tomatoes. I LOVE being able to go out and get fresh... herbs in our grocery store are REDIC expensive. Our CSA also supplies us with some, so between the two, we're golden.

Sabrina Ahmed said...

I love the idea of being more self sustainable by growing your own herbs, fruits and veggies. My children and I started an organic garden in our back yard this year and they love helping with it... especially when they get to eat what we grow! I recently read an article about how using recycled rain water can have certain benefits for your garden, so I got online and bought a cute little rain barrel, and now we use that instead of wasting needless water from the tap! It's just one of those small things we can do in our everyday lives that can lessen our family's impact on the Earth!

P.S .. If you need a rain barrel they have some neat eco-friendly ones at http://www.greeneutopia.com . The site also had some really great info on Green issues, topics and trends; which is always great for the mom looking for new ways to educate her kids on why Green is Great! Hope this resource can help your families as well!

God Bless!
-Sabrina