Monday, June 07, 2010

Garden

This is my garden...
Rather that is where my garden is eventually going to be. It is going to be beautiful. Raised beds made of stone. Automatic sprinkler system on its own zone for watering. Maybe a little fence across the front to keep pesky animals (and I include the kids in that description!) from playing inside. A little bench for me to sit and admire the miracles of nature.

I had high hopes that I would be harvesting from that garden this year, but it didn't happen for multiple reasons. Foremost, I want to have an alternative playground for the kids before I take out that old splinter haven. I'd like the kids' area to go here in the shade under this tree.
I'm thinking a simple platform treehouse with a swing underneath and maybe a sandbox. Jack has requested a fireman pole. Maybe we'll get that done by the end of summer.

Once I accepted that my garden was not going to be a reality this summer, I thought I would forgo gardening for yet another year. However, once it started to warm up, I was aching for a place to plant. Matt quickly built me a little raised bed that will do just fine for this year.
In there I have 2 varieties of kale (starts I received from my friend Jill), zucchini, yellow squash, vine beans, purple bush beans, another bean from Kate's school project (no idea what! and it looks different from my vine beans...), jalapeno peppers, eggplant, a few lettuce varieties (those went in really late but I'm hoping a bit of shade from the zucchini will help them out), and some marigolds and sunflowers (Kate's garden contribution). We planted our seeds and a few starts from the garden store before we left for Utah. I was pleasantly surprised to see that everything came up and survived while we were gone!

I also have a few varieties tomato plants in self-watering pots. Those seem to be doing great. All have flowers, and one even has a few green tomatoes already!
Jack really wanted to plant pumpkins this summer. There is obviously no room in the raised bed, so we are trying behind the garage. It isn't the best place for sun nor soil, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the few bags of compost and the few hours of sunlight will yield us a few pumpkins. Of the 2 pumpkin varieties we planted, only one had sprouted when we arrived home. The sugar pie pumpkins came up nicely...
but I didn't see any sprouts from the Little October pumpkins that Jack specifically picked out. Disappointing. I was going to get some plants from the garden store to replace them, but when I went out to water this morning, look what is finally peeking through!
And see the old dog run in the edges of some of the photos? That is the future home of my chickens. Uncle Markle says he is coming 4th of July weekend to help me build my hen house! Woohoo!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Lucky you...chickens?! That's something I'd like to do as well. I had to forgo most of my garden plans this year, just a few herbs and veggies in the front yard. I needed a separate area, free from the puppy, and it just didn't happen this year.

Andrea said...

I'm trying a straw bail vegetable garden this year since our soil sucks. But, don't know if I can keep up with the watering. plan to post about it soon. Good work!
multiplemama.com

Andrea said...

Beautiful! We are getting chickens this summer too. Yay!

Penny said...

raised beds are great. I would like to raise ours more but it's not worth it right now.