Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chickpea Recipes

A few of our favorites, as promised. I know I have more chickpea recipes, but I can't think of them. I also throw chickpeas in salads and soups (usually chili).

(Matt & I used to eat this ALL the time pre-kids)

- Indian Chickpeas
(Matt gave me this recipe when we were dating. It is from his friend Neil's mom)

3T oil
few cumin seeds
few mustard seeds
1/2 onion, chopped
3T ketchup
2 cups water (or a bit more if dry)
1 can chickpeas
1/2 tsp curry powder
pinch turmeric
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp ginger
few pieces of green pepper (I use dehydrated if I don't have fresh)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
salt
1 chopped tomato
yogurt
rice

Heat oil, add seeds, let it pop & brown, add chopped onion and cook for 5 min until light brown. Add ketchup, cook 5 min, add water, let it boil then add chickpeas, curry, turmeric, garlic, ginger, peppers, sugar and salt. Let cook 30min or until chickpeas are tender. Add tomato and cook 5 min. Serve over rice with a dollop of yogurt.


- Chickpea Patties

1 4oz can mild green chilies, chopped

1-2 crushed garlic cloves

1 19oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

½ small red pepper, seeded and chopped

2 tsp cumin

½ tsp salt

2/3 cup bread crumbs

olive oil

In a large food processor, place all above ingredients up to bread crumbs, pulse until mixture forms a course paste. Add breadcrumbs and pulse until just mixed. Shape into 8 patties. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med heat. Cook the patties for about 4 min per side until golden. Top with a fruit salsa.


- Chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas

(modified from Deceptively Delicious - these are thick cookies, not chewy)

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup butter

1 egg

2 tsp vanilla

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed and mashed

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup oats

1 tsp bakiing soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup mini chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350. Beat sugar and butter together. Beat in egg, vanilla, and chickpeas. Mix in flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop onto baking sheet, bake 11-13 minutes. Do not overbake.

5 comments:

Angela Miller said...

That Chickpea Salad sounds wonderful!!! I can't wait for fresh cherry tomatoes straight from my garden. I will be trying this very soon :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the recipes. I will have to try some this weekend.

PopMom said...

Everyday Food magazine has a spatchcock chicken (backbone cut out and whole chicken pressed down for faster roasting time) with chickpeas recipe that sounds great. I thought of you yesterday when I stumbled upon it! It's not online yet so you'd have to get the magazine or I could send it to you.

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for chick pea recipes (except I call them garbanzo beans). :) THANK YOU! Melissa

Angela Miller said...

I just made the chickpea salad for lunch. YUM!!! I made a double batch and used an entire can of beans. Wow! I could eat the entire bowl in one sitting. I WILL be making this again. It is so simple and very tasty.