Sunday, March 07, 2010

Cross Country Skiing

Back in college, I babysat for a family that I adored. I wanted their life or at least to model my own life after theirs. The mom was a nurse, the dad a nurse anesthetist (E, remember when we had a thing for him after seeing him in the OR?!? For everyone's info, that was before I started babysitting!), and they had 3 beautiful children. The youngest was born my senior year. They lived in this great, old house. I admired the ways they were raising their children, and I specifically remember that they only used their small TV in the basement for an occasional video. I went over a few times a week in the afternoons after class. I loved the times I sat and held the baby, and the mom and I would chat while she unloaded the dishwasher or folded clothes. Sometimes she ran errands, but mostly she went cross country skiing to get some child-free exercise time.

Yup. That was going to be my life.

Fast forward 15+ years. Handsome husband, check. Beautiful children, check. Great, old house, check. Not too much TV, sorta check (we watch more than they ever did!). Lots of dishes and laundry, double check. Cross country skiing...

Check! As of this morning. After over 15 years of wanting to learn, I finally went for the first time this morning. I loved it. I think I'll try again next weekend. I'm evening thinking about picking up some demo equipment on sale this spring.

2 comments:

Colorado Knitter said...

That is so great Kristen! I used to cross country ski when I was a kid. Miss it sometimes. It is a fantastic way to exercise and it feels so good. I bet the equipment is a lot better than what I used to use as well.

Marie Green said...

That's awesome! I've lived in MN or So.Dak my entire life (mostly) and I've never tried it either. I've been wanting too as well...