Monday, March 15, 2010

Birdhouses

For Christmas, my mother-in-law gave each of the kids a kit of pre-cut & drilled pieces of wood to make birdhouses. Jack was a little confused when he opened it, but still very excited. I think he said several times, "Wow! I can't believe I got wood!" It might be my favorite gift of the season (am I allowed to think that?). It is fun, creative, and useful. Matt helped the kids put the birdhouses together about a month ago, but we have been waiting for just the right day to paint them. Yesterday afternoon was gloomy and snowy and perfect for a painting project.

Serious Painters
Finished Projects
I finished them off with a few coats of old polyurethane that I had from an old craft. Hopefully we'll get a sunny day this week, so we can hang them up outside. Then we'll be ready for some birds to move in!

The project came from Birds & Blooms magazine. There are a bunch of projects that I've been inspired to make. Most of the plans seem to be free but there are also some that require a subscription. Here is our project: Birdhouse Plans

3 comments:

PopMom said...

Did Kate get her hair cut recently? She looks so grown up with shorter hair!!

I've had a bird house for painting for about 2 years now. Maybe I'll pull it out one of these days!!

Tammy said...

What a fun project! And what a great way to put the children's art on display

Penny said...

Busy bees there :)