Monday, February 08, 2010

Running, Running

Less than a week until my half marathon. Excited but jittery.

After I finish (which I will, barring anything flukey!), I've decided that I will start referring to myself as a runner. Even though I've been running sporadically for a few years, I never thought I could/would be a "runner." I certainly never thought I could run longer distances. It wasn't until someone made an off-hand comment to me last summer that I had the "quads of a runner" that I even considered possibly doing more. I'm glad I found the inspiration.

Colorado Mama recently introduced me to Tall Mom on the Run's (who is also doing a recovery sock giveaway) challenge to run 1000+ miles in 2010. I'm tempted. I logged 76 miles in January which is just short of the average 83 miles/month needed. It is also much less than I had planned (darn winter weather and the various illnesses that come with it!). We'll see how February goes. By next Sunday I should already have about 50 miles.

6 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I always think it is interesting to hear when people start to think of themselves as a "Runner." Thanks for the plug, good luck in your race and way to go on the Jan miles!!

Tiffany said...

Good luck on your 1/2 Marathon. You are a runner! I am hoping come March and summer I will be on track for the 1000 miles. But so far this snow, cold and illnesses that come with winter have slowed me down!

Marie Green said...

I've thought of you as a runner for a long time! Good luck on the half! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Nona said...

In boca a'lupo is what they say here for good luck. It means, "you are in the mouth of the wolf." And YOU would say, "crepi a'lupo." I will kill the wolf.

So there you go, Italian lesson AND an odd wish for good luck in your race. You will crush it, I'm sure!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am excited to hear you are going after the half marathon! Miles 8 and 9 will hurt the most so just push through those. It will help just to focus on one mile at a time. Not mile 8, mile 9, etc. But 1 mile, 1 mile, 1 mile. Push hard, be depleted when you are done my runner friend.

Lorian said...

Hey there! So glad you you noticed me on Tall Mom's blog. Good luck on Sunday! You will have a fabulous time at your first 1/2 marathon! Have a fun run!!!