Thursday, February 25, 2010

Poetry Prodigy

I write poetry. I don't tell many people this (I'm not sure Matt even knows!), and I share my work with even fewer. My writing isn't as prolific as it was when I was an angsty teenager and young adult, but occasionally a bit still gets out.

Kate came home from school today with a book titled "My Book of Poems" as they have been studying poetry the last few weeks. I'm not sure what I expected, but I certainly didn't expect to be so impressed! I admit that the prose brought me to tears. But I am her mom.

Snow
by Kate
2.2.10

White ice.
White tres.
White stars.
White popritns.
White leevz.
White snow.

(Translation:
White ice.
White trees.
White stars.
White paw prints.
White leaves.
White snow.)

My Mom
by Kate

My mom
She
Loves
Me
and I love my mom.

(She spelled everything correctly in this one, and Kate was very proud of her "line break")

Scissors
by Kate
Jan 2010

Sum sisrz
loock like
a bot.
The bot snipt
the wotr in haf

(Translation:
Some scissors
look like
a boat.
The boat snipped
the water in half.)

4 comments:

Penny said...

awesome :)

Marie Green said...

Wow, those are special! Way to go Kate!

Lorian said...

They are great! Such a proud mom!

Colorado Knitter said...

I really like the one about Scissors! You should be proud!