Monday, February 01, 2010

BookMooch

Do you use BookMooch? I started using it about 9 months ago. It is a free, online, book exchange site that uses a point system to trade books. The simple explanation of the system is that you get one point for every book you send to someone. You can then use your points to "mooch" books from others. So far I've sent out 95 books and mooched over 125 (you earn extra points for feedback or sending to other countries). Some I've kept for my collection, some I've read and then sent off to others.

Previous to joining BookMooch, I kinda had a book buying problem that bordered on an addiction. I know that there is the library, and I do use our local library for children's books and craft books. I am just a reader that needs time to sit with books both physically and emotionally. Some non-fiction may take me months to read (I usually have multiple books going at the same time). BookMooch works really well for me, because I can maintain a wishlist of books (which decreases my impulse to buy), browse for books via Amazon, and re-circulate books on my timeframe.

Fun story with BookMooch. I had been waiting for the book History of Love to become available. Finally I caught one and was happy to see that it was from another Colorado member (I like it when shipping isn't too far). I opened the member's profile, and to my surprise and delight, I realized that it was listed by Kate's BFF's mom! I got special delivery and a fun, new connection.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the heads up. I have used PaperBack Swap but not this site. I will find some books to post!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I haven't heard of this site and my youngest is still not to the age where a quick trip to the PO is easy, but it is definitely something I will file away for the future. And how neat Kate's friend's mom had the book you wanted. :)

PopMom said...

oooo...looks great! I've recently reduced my book purchase habit, but my library fines have really spiked as a result :)