Thursday, February 04, 2010

Beets!

I love beets. Love 'em! Love them roasted with butter, love them pickled, love them in salads, love them anyway. Yum. Unfortunately, I married a man who does not like beets at all (unfortunately about the beets, not the marriage... most days anyway!), and Matt is pretty open about food - I can't think of any other food that he doesn't like. But I found a beet dish that finally won him over! Shredded beet and carrot salad. It is a raw recipe which always makes me feel healthy, and even Kate really liked it (Jack... not so much). My only issue is that it didn't satisfy my beet cravings... you can hardly distinguish the beets from the carrots! I like to taste the beets. But the salad is really pretty - I served it with grilled pork chops and bamboo rice. I should have taken a picture.

Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad
(it is a Martha recipe from Great Food Fast - which is one of my favorite cookbooks- but I couldn't find it on her website)

1/4 cup lemon juice
1T olive oil
1T honey
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
1 lb raw beets, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1/3 cup fresh parsley (I used dry since that is what I had on hand)

Whisk together lemon juice, oil, honey and spices. Shred beets and carrots in food processor. Toss veggies and dressing, sprinkle with parsley.


2 comments:

Marie Green said...

I've had this before, or a salad like it, and it was delicious and pretty too, like you said!

Colorado Knitter said...

What about the salad at the Sunflower Cafe? Do you think he would go for something like that?