Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holiday Getaway...

...from everything. That is what we are enjoying this week. Good, calm, downtime in the mountains. I'm trying to stay away from the computer - only somewhat successfully. Beyond our normal outdoor activities, snuggling, reading, game playing, eating and sleeping have been our top priorities.

We did a family ski outing yesterday. It was our first time out as a family with everyone skiing independently. Kate is a little speed demon and is quite excited to start skiing "bumps" (her ski lingo cracks me up! Yesterday she took a tumble, looked up at me and said, "oops! I caught an edge!"). Matt and Kate are out skiing together as I type. I imagine they'll find something to satisfy Kate's urge to ski bumps. Jack is strong and old enough this year to ski in control. Although I imagine the "control" won't last long. He is always on the look-out for places to jump, has a fascination with the terrain park, and has decided that he wants to learn to ski backwards (he took off backwards down the hill after said announcement). Matt couldn't be more pleased than to have both kids enjoying his favorite sport. I look forward to the day when they are all better skiers then me, and I can relax alone with my tea and a book while waiting for them to come home.

I've taken some photos and video (on my new Flip video camera - a Christmas present - with a family photo emblazoned on the front!), but left my camera cord at home. Maybe I'll post photos once we return home. Maybe.

We've been firming up our 2010 travel plans this week. We'll take our annual trips (Alabama and Moab), visit family in some of our favorite places (Dallas, Austin, Maine), explore some Colorado locales, make our 2nd road trip across the Midwest (although instead of Minnesota and South Dakota this year, we'll head to Michigan and Indiana instead), and leave some room for unexpected trips as well. I'm looking forward to 2010.

No comments: