Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Kitchen

My parents and my grandma arrived Tuesday, and it's all about Christmas in our kitchen yesterday and today. For me, holidays are a time for putting all the try-to-make-it-healthier attempts aside. I actually get a bit annoyed with magazine articles promoting "healthy" holidays! Not that we eat horribly during the holidays, but we do indulge in all of our favorites.

Yesterday we made several loaves of Christmas Banana Bread (using dried cherries instead of maraschino cherries - and we used hazelnuts instead of walnuts for the first loaf - YUM!) for neighbors.

Cookie baking (and eating!) is in full force... chocolate gingerbread, candy cane fudge, colored sugar rounds, corn flake wreaths, and a few others that I haven't decided on yet.

Today we'll make a Swedish tea ring for Christmas morning and maybe a gingerbread house (the kids have their heart set on making one, so I hope we find the time!)

I'm also doing lots of non-Christmas cooking with a full house. Lentil and brown rice soup with homemade bread Tuesday night. Au jus sandwiches with cabbage slaw and sweet potato fries last night. Tonight, we'll have our traditional oyster stew (this recipe is SO much better than the one we grew up eating!), popovers, and apple/walnut/blue cheese salad. Christmas Day is ham, Hoosier potatoes, homemade bread, and something green still TBA.

And LOTS of cookies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know better, I would think you are casting aspersions on my oyster stew!!!
Merry Christmas to all.

Aunt Gwen