Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Southwestern Risotto

This is the recipe I mentioned yesterday that we had for dinner last night. Yum! I adapted it from an old Cooking Light* recipe. I think I've mentioned before that I make my risotto in a rice cooker. Probably won't win any awards, but since I can't stand over the stove and stir constantly, it works for us.

Southwestern Risotto
4 cups vegetable broth
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (I usually use short grain brown rice)
1 roasted red pepper, diced
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 can black beans (I usually use the equivalent amount of homemade, frozen beans)
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I use the pre-shredded Mexican mix)
1/4-1/2 tsp hot sauce (I omit because of the kids - Matt and I use it in our individual bowls)

Heat oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Add cumin, coriander, and rice. Saute a minute or two. Put mixture in rice maker. Add broth. Cook for about an hour or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in red pepper, corn, beans, cheese, and hot sauce. Cook until heated.

*BTW, you can get a one year subscription to Cooking Light on Amazon right now for only $5!

2 comments:

Penny said...

love risotto. I even stand over the stove to make it ;)

PopMom said...

YUM! I usually stand over the stove, too, but this sounds easy. Now I need a rice cooker!!